Sunday, February 21, 2010

Three wonderful jumps

Yes, three! We arrived at the Drop Zone right around 11:00am, to find Linny already there and organizing the first jump of the day. In this picture, Smart Guy and I are boarding the plane, a sweet little Cessna Caravan that takes us up two miles above the earth, with Puget Sound in one direction, the Olympic Mountains and Mt. Baker in other directions, all of which were clear as a bell on that first jump. It was a bit chilly on the ride up, but heck, it is February after all!

Once we landed, Linny and I went to pack our parachutes quick as we could, so we could make what we thought would be our second and last jump of the day, since Linny had to leave for work by 3:00pm. The jump was so much fun and after we landed and started to pack, Linny came running over to me (it was 1:45pm) asking if I could pack quickly so we might make yet another jump!
I did a quick but thorough pack job and up we went at 2:30pm, landing right at 3:00! We managed to say a few goodbyes and there was Linny, running like crazy at 3:20pm to make it to her job (she's an usher in Seattle for some major venue). Linny is five years younger than me, has more than 3,000 skydives, almost all of them at the Snohomish Drop Zone, and is called the "Queen Mother" -- she has never arrived at the Drop Zone in all these years without having baked a goody that everybody enjoys until it's gone. She organizes skydives,  and she never fails to give the pilot a dollar bill when we get ready to take off. She says she will take it back if the pilot scares her; otherwise it's theirs to keep. There's nobody quite like her, and I love to see my cellphone ring with a call from Linny telling me to get myself and my equipment to the DZ: the weather's great! My day was, well, perfect.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. One of you had to have been the leader in starting all these things the two of you get into, was it you or Smart Guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Congratulations! You never fail to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful. I am glad that you enjoyed your day. It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you had a wonderful time. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love smart guys helmet! (It matches what I envision him as!) I'm glad you were able to enjoy the day. So did we!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yipee is jumping time again! I am so glad to hear and see you in your jumpsuit.

    It seems that jumping is a piece to you women...that you managed to go work afterwards as if nothing happened hahaha.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. my tummy is turning at the thought--and not in a good way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so impressed! Good for you - do you do it annually? Years ago, I frequented Pope Valley near Napa Valley a bit south of here. The jumpers were a little crazy and very interesting - I never got up the courage (my excuse was monetary) to jump, so kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three jumps in one day? I had no idea! You really know how to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing, vibrant lady you are !
    I couldn't have undertaken this adventure in my twenties let alone in my sixties. Congratulations and many more of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am pleased you could get some jumping done. My husband said he loved it so when he was jumping – the funny thing is that he is scared of heights but he said that it was not the same when you jump out of an airplane. Your pictures are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You go, girl...

    I have always wanted to jump, and never quite made it.

    You are one amazing woman!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds like you had a fantastic day. Three jumps in one day, that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had a wonderful time!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What fun! Linny sounds fantastic. What a wonderful cast of characters that fill your life.

    I'm glad you had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your excitement comes through in the telling. The weather looks good too.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.