Thursday, February 18, 2010

Mt. Erie and Sugarloaf

Today, eighteen Trailblazers set out from Heart Lake in Skagit County (south of Bellingham) to hike under eight miles but up (and down) 2,500 feet to the top of Mt. Erie and Sugarloaf Mountain. The hike is lovely, along leaf-strewn and ferny trails in the Anacortes Community Forest Land. Last year when we did the same hike, it was overcast and dreary in Bellingham, and although we hiked up above the clouds, we stayed cold all day long, even in the sun.
Not today. it was sunny and calm all day, with the temperature somewhere near 60 (15 C), even at the summit (1,263 feet). The only disconcerting part is hiking all that way and then coming to a paved road, which goes the entire way to the top. Of course we didn't care about that, we wanted the hiking experience. Here's a picture of our lunch spot, with the hikers all scattered around, commenting on how it wasn't even necessary to put on our jackets when we reached the summit, because it was so toasty warm in the sunshine.
 The views at the top were new to me, because last year we didn't see much other than a few features hovering through the fog when it would lift now and then. I have never seen Glacier Peak look so beautiful before. It's not easily seen on any of our other hikes, but here it is in all its glory. This is what I missed last year!
And Linda, one of our hikers from the Ferndale contingent, pointed out this fungus to me on the way up, which I chose to capture on the way back down. (I would have had to hike back down to take it earlier.) It's really quite lovely, isn't it? (You can click any picture to enlarge.) All in all, we had a great day, I'll sleep well tonight, and I'm even feeling a little sunburned!
:-)

13 comments:

  1. Loved all these photos, the fungas is awesome!
    And the views???? Spectacular!
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh DJ, how beautiful. And I feel like such a slouch as I sit here on my butt, you're out there hiking and getting exercise and being in the sun. I don't even know what sun feels like anymore as we have none here. 60 degrees!! Must be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no place more beautiful than the Pacific Northwest, at least in my mind that's true. Aren't those fungus interesting? They amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The views are magnificent, I love to see Glacier Peak. The fern lined path really makes me want to find a hiking trail but I settled for yard work as a way to get my sun today.

    Glad you saw lots of little birds today. My yard was filled with them until the hawks flew over, it got really quiet for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a magnificent place !
    You are so lucky to have all that in your backyard, and even luckier that you are physically able to hike as you do.
    I have a bad knee, most times I swear at it, but doesn't help. Don't think I could hike up a trail that long, and not be brought down on a stretcher.
    You are one active lady, and we get to share the benefits of the view, once you are at the top !
    Thank you, friend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you eat for lunch? If I were there I would surely enjoy my lunch while staring at the magnificent views which surrounds me. Happy hiking!

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a magnificent view! Gorgeous photos! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning views. You are so amazing. I don't know how you do it. It makes me tired just thinking of all the steps you took.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful hike. And I think the fungus might be Turkey tails. Soon I'll be photographing mushrooms myself!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible views! Wow! I love the Pac North West!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really did get some excellent photographs and the country you live in is quite beautiful so you can't really go wrong. I can almost feel the leg muscles getting hot and sore. Wow. What an experience it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sixty degrees..sounds like spring!! Beautiful views..just awesome! I also enjoyed the Fungus! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow. Stunning, as always. The fungus is awesome. It's quite amazing where beauty resides, isn't it?

    I'm a little envious of the temperature!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.