Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Bucket list

Well, this is embarrassing. Several of my blogging buddies wrote down a list of things they want to accomplish before they "kick the bucket." This idea was popularized recently with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman starring in a movie by the same name. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll probably put it in my Netflix queue and watch it sometime.

I couldn't think of anything I haven't already done to put on a list of things I want to experience before the Big Sleep. Nothing. Nada. I've slept under the stars without a tent, made love in the surf, kissed in the rain, run a marathon (well, a half marathon anyway), traveled to exotic places (more than once), bicycled across the country, made a few skydives, held a wild hawk in my hands, and found a nice place to retire after having had a satisfying career.

But then, I realized there are LOTS of unaccomplished things in my life, things that I would definitely like to attain before I die: to find a constant peaceful state of mind, to become a master of meditation, to learn how better to deal with the aging process, and finally, to let go of old hurts and grudges so that I will be squeaky clean when I pass over.

I'm sure there are more, but I am also inspired by an excerpt from a poem written by Chief Dan George, a Coast Salish native who became a movie actor at the age of sixty and even got an Academy Award nomination for his part in Little Big Man. He wrote poetry and helped people better understand the First Nations people.
Between the first campfire and the last
of each day I searched for food,
made shelter, clothing and weapons
and always found time for prayer.
Inspiration can always be found by studying the lives of those who came before, so that's my final entry on the list: learn from my ancestors.
:-)

16 comments:

  1. I am a big proponent of learning from certain individuals that came before you and learning from history.

    Saw the movie "The Bucket List." It is good because the actors are good. I enjoyed it. There are couple of places I'd like to see, but I've pretty much done what I've wanted to do. :D One thing I do NOT want to do is jump out of an airplane. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh...you totally have got it going on girl. BTW, I did see your sky diving pictures. Awesome! I have enjoyed reading your blog posts, and have been inspired. To me...that's what this blogging stuff is all about. You've encouraged me with this last post especially. I think at 57 it's time (for me) to concentrate more on my inner being than my outer doing. Although...I know they both walk hand in hand. That the doing brings about synchronicity, and with that comes guidance. Keep rockin' it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful post. Sounds to me like you've pretty much done it all. I suspect you're well on your way to having accomplished the emotional/spiritual ones. Don't finish those, however, because then you'd have no reason to keep living.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If anyone could come up with the perfect list, it would be you. I absolutely love it. I know I have said this before, but it bears repeating..You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i want to jump out of a plane
    you are my pants-on-the-outside-red-cape hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn, you sure made a bucket list of accomplishments. Good for you DJ and I know it made you very happy and fulfilled but of course bucket wont go empty there are still a lot of things to be done.

    SCUBA is one thing I wanted to do, to start farming in the countryside, to join more outreach programs but first things first...I need to take a bath now!

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!

    I love Chief Dan George.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Chief Dan George, that is a great verse from his poem. Other than a few places I would like to visit I've done so much there isn't a lot left for a list.

    I've walked on almost every beach on the West Coast from Barrow and Nome, Alaska to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. I've watched the sun set and rise within the same hour in Barrow. Backpacked, camped and sang around campfires all over. Slept under the stars and the Northern Lights.

    I would like to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I often think of Helen Keller, she had such a hard life and only focused on what she was able to do never pondering all she had missed, thus this was such a great post to contemplate while I create (again) my bucket list via your inspirational post.

    Nice work..

    Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to visit the Florida keys and write a book. I just had 30 pages of my blog published into a book as a gift to my brother who is in a nursing home and does not have computer access.

    DJan, you are so mazing! What a list of accomplishments you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will try to be dead serious here -- no pun intended.

    I think about death and dying a lot. At my age the string on the ball gets shorter each day and now we can begin to see the spool.

    My problem with this is that I always have a lot of things I want to know about or want to know more about or I feel like I am not ready to go yet. Maybe we never are but I would like to think I had cleaned up the table before I left.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you find out how to deal with the ageing process..I hope you share. You will like the movie, I am certain of it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started writing a blog for my grandchildren (now 1 and 3 years old) so when they grow up they would understand my background – but I have been talking a lot more about my trips. So I hope I have more years left to write in my blog. I have so many books unread on my shelves that I need quite a few more years for them too. Lots more places to visit. But I am pretty contented with what I have done so far and feel like you do.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw the movie and, while it wasn't my favorite, the concept is thought provoking. I have not accomplished half of what I intend, but I have hit some of the major points. I hope I will have time to attempt the rest, but perhaps that's the arrogance of youth. I feel I have made a contribution to life by living and loving and using my love to create new life. If my life is far shorter than I hope, I feel I have not lived in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd like to get my books published.
    I want to see the Aurora Borealis.
    I would like to see my son play the guitar on a really big stage.
    I would like to hold my first grandchild - please.
    I would like to stay healthy.
    I would like to see an end to world hunger.
    I would like NOT to get any more migraines.
    I would like to get more comments on my Blog.
    I would like to meet you.
    I would like Tammy's dog, Boone, to get a medal for endurance.
    When I get past the bucket and arrive in the Summerlands I would like to meet my dog Jacko again. I think I want that more than anything.
    Will that do for now?
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.