Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lunar fog bow

I'm heading off to the Seattle Flower Show (with camera) today, but this morning when I read my usual websites, I realized that you might not know about the Astronomy Picture of the Day. This is what they had on there yesterday, and it just took my breath away. Here's the description, from that page (all those links are from APOD):
Arching across the lower part of the image is a rare lunar fog bow. Unlike a more commonly seen rainbow, which is created by sunlight reflected prismatically by falling rain, this fog bow was created by moonlight reflected by the small water drops that compose fog. Although most fog bows appear white, all of the colors of the rainbow were somehow visible here. The above image was taken from high atop Haleakala, a huge volcano in Hawaii, USA.
And that lovely shining star is Mars, taken two weeks ago when it was very bright. Enjoy! Tomorrow, lots of flower pictures!
:-)

13 comments:

  1. Wow! That was really something to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the flower show - looking forward to seeing your pix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is gorgeous and so interesting. I didn't know a rainbow was possible without sunshine. It seems to have a magical mystique about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that an amazing picture of the fog bow. I didn't know such a thing existed. There's a bit of synchronicity going on here because the post I was going to do today had almost the same picture to go with it. I will do it in the near future and you will see what I mean.
    By the way, I haven't forgotten you with a special posting. It's coming, it really is... x
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin in Hawaii, who works for the gvmt on the volcano, has seen fog bows and moon bows as well. I have APOD on my iGoogle. And this one ended up as my desktop. Thanks for alerting others to this amazing Web page

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Hope you've had a great day at the flower show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool new info! Thanks for posting this beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning Fog bow! They have some amazing photos. I hope you get some great ones at the flower show! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never even heard of this. Amazing. Learn something new every day!
    I hope you've had a great day at the Flower Show:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks. I didn't know about these. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Incredible, isn't it? Can't wait for the flower pictures. I miss seeing color - it has been white for ages around here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness that looks heavenly DJ!
    Enjoy the flower show mi amiga!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.