Thursday, February 11, 2010

Almost finished sweater

I've got three pictures of my almost-finished sweater in this post (click to enlarge). I like this one because you can see how the bottom garter stitch of the sweater rolls up. Blocking the sweater is the last step before it's finished. I decided to make the sweater with three-quarter sleeves because I realized that I ALWAYS roll up the sleeves, why not make them the length I want? I think I made them a smidgen too short, but I don't have a clue how I would lengthen them by an inch without a whole lot of grief. Next sweater, maybe.

I'm wearing the sweater right now, and it feels good, except it's really warm. In this picture (below), you can see the way the sweater is supposed to hang on the bottom, but it doesn't, so I think before I block it, I will hem the garter stitch up, since that stitch is the same on either side (row of knit, row of purl). (The color is different because I used the flash.)
I called my family's expert knitter, my aunt Quetita, and she said she has NEVER had a problem like that (stitches rolling up), and she thought my solution would be a good one. She also suggested simply sewing the side seams closed so it wouldn't roll up. Anyway, I'm done, and I have two skeins left, so I think my next project will be a pair of felted mittens, since this yarn is supposed to be the best for felting!! Gotta have something to work on, since I'm almost done with this project. Here's a picture of me in the sweater where I I think look a little like my sister Norma Jean!
:-)

20 comments:

  1. I wouldn't do anything with the sweater until you've washed it. Wash it by hand, really carefully and when it is dry, you may be surprised to find that it hangs beautifully. You might even notice that the sleeves are a little longer? I'm clicking my fingers. Try it :-)
    Anyway it's a gorgeous make, lovely colour and it suits you. Well done.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sweater looks awesome! And I can't believe Quetita is approaching 90 and still giving knitting lessons over the phone. (I'm betting you will live even longer than she does, by the way, but I'm pretty sure I won't be around to collect my winnings. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hasn't it turned out beautifully !
    The color is gorgeous, my favorite :)
    I love the shorter length sleaves too, I'm always getting mine wet, so it would save them from doing so.
    I always made a hem with knit two purl two, since it runs opposite of the pattern, they never curled up.
    I'm not a knitting expert though ....
    Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice, DJan! What a talented lady you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aah Haa, another knitter. Isn't in fun to knit in the Pacific Northwest? Your sweater looks great. Star's comment makes a lot of sense to me.

    I follow another blogger in the Pacific Northwest I believe you would enjoy. Try "Linda's Letters" at http://lindaletters.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you...and to me,you made it really fast!
    How cute and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty sweater! (And ... we all look like our sisters whether we want to admit it or not.) You can always hand stitch a piece of gross grain ribbon on the back of the knitting and it will lay flat, but I like the length of the sleeves. I'm a puller and a roller myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sweater turned out grand! The color is really good for you, and I agree, I like three quarter length sleeves best. Save yourself the trouble of rolling them up all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks fabulous. It is a great color for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sweater is gorgeous...I like the idea of the 3/4 sleeves. I know nothing about knitting, so I have no suggestions about the hem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohoo DJ perfect sweater model! How is it? I can see that it almost fits well, it just needs a little hemming...well, you did it! Worn with a long sleeves shirt underneath is a real hip! Go girl.

    AL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the color on you, DJan! Great job - food for the soul I say!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sweater looks beautiful and like very much the sleeve length.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful sweater Jan. It looks great with the 3/4 sleeves. I don't think you look like me at all (LOL).

    What the heck is felting?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the color, and it suits you well! After it is blocked..it may fit a bit differently...measure the sleeves now and when you block it..measure them again..stretch it a bit more in the sleeves to give you the length you want:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's beautiful, and the color is very striking on you. I have to agree that you seem to have flown through that project. I like the idea of the gloves. I do think you might want to have your next project in mind if you're going to continue to knit that quickly:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this color on you DJan, it is gorgeous. I like that sleeve length and like Al said it looks really hip worn over a long sleeve shirt. I'm looking forward to seeing you next project too, you are so talented.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've had several store-bought sweaters that rolled. It's not unusual. Love the color! You could add length by crocheting on the sleeves, making a different border. But I think the sleeves look great the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your sweater ...wish I could knit as well as you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your sweater turned out very nicely and the color is striking. You could lengthen the sleeves if you wish with a couple of rows with a crochet – I have done that on a baby blanket to make it a little larger. To keep the sweater flat you can iron it with a damp cloth, just around the bottom or sew a bias type in the back - that might help. I just finished my daughter’s thick scarf today and she will need it in Ohio. We went on a little trip last week and were surprised to find snow after we came back.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.