Saturday, April 13, 2019

Wet and chilly Saturday

Sugar snap peas, April 8 and 13
When I awoke this morning, I could hear the rain pounding on the roof, and I knew it would be a challenging day to join the walkers. But I did it anyway, knowing it was around Lake Padden, which we usually do twice. I thought maybe nobody else would show up and I could go home, but no, there were a dozen of us to walk in the rain. Not showers, but rain. Everyone else made a second loop, but I decided to go home instead.

My sugar snap peas, which I put in the ground four days ago, have grown an amazing amount, even though it's been on the chilly side with little sun. I was afraid I might have planted them too early, but they are doing just fine. I'll be showing you more when I can stay outside and take better pictures. The wind and rain drove me inside as soon as I snapped the picture on the right.
Blooms against a grey sky
I also took a picture last week of the first of these pretty blooms, which are now almost gone. They come and go in a flash, with green leaves sprouting almost instantly once the flowers show up. In my part of the world, spring is definitely everywhere around me. I hope my friends who are digging out from lots of snow (yes, snow!) will be showing me pretty flower pictures soon, too.
:-)

15 comments:

  1. I envy your garden growth so early, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain? Jealous thoughts.
    Isn't it amazing just how fast plants grow when the conditions are right? Hunker down and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything here is growing fast, too. We have high 70 degree weather this Saturday. Sure hope it stays like this. I am so done with winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say hiking in the rain is exhilarating :)
    Your peas are growing fast, they must like the wet conditions !
    Such beautiful blooms, a little glimpse of what's to come.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did my hike early this morning, and beat the rain that came around noon. Good for you for getting your walk in despite the inclement weather.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow the rain must be great for transplants! They are looking good! I wish I had blooms , maybe in about a month or six weeks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peas are very hardy and can go in the ground quite early. I always admire you hardy people who stay out in the rain and keep active.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I must say I am actually proud of you for cutting today's walk shorter than what others did. Why do it if it's not fun.
    We geared up in rain pants and coats to attend the Sounders match today, but we all lucked out. We just had a few sprinkles here.It is cold though and we were happy to be protected from the wind blowing in off the sound.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You were brave to walk in the rain. And, yes, you are enjoying the spring. Over here in Hawaii, it is perpetual summer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Those sugar snap peas took off like crazy!

    The new snow is melting over here. Blizzards aren't quite as bad in the spring as you know the snow won't be around long. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doncha hate it when you're hoping nobody else shows up and you could go home, and then there are a dozen eager beavers ready to go? But later ... you're always glad you went.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can't wait to see the full garden blooming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I (almost) got my 10,000 steps in yesterday. That's a good day in my world. You must get over 20,000. Uphill! Plus, it was sunny. And Game of Thrones started. A great day by all standards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Spring is definitely in your area. Here is more like your summer. lol

    Yep, peas are hardy.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.