Saturday, April 27, 2019

Tulip Festival 2019

Lily behind, me, Maria, and Cindy in front
Every year I go down to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. This year, there were four of us. Last year it was just Lily and me, but she wanted to bring two other mutual friends, making for a great foursome.
Display garden
We got to Roozengaarde about twenty minutes before opening time at 9:00am. It was the longest line I've ever seen so early, and by the time we got inside, it was impossible to get pictures without people in them. But we did try. Above, you can see the "sea" of grape hyacinths running through the tulips. They have always done this since I've been attending, but this time there were many more "rivers."
Yellow star in the tulips
There was so much to see, and the people kept pouring in. It's almost over; next weekend will be the last for this year. The weather was mostly cloudy with a brisk wind, but it didn't deter us at all.
Amazing design
I especially loved seeing the way the spiky tulips wend their way through pink, purple and white tulips. The planting must take quite a bit of planning to get such great results.
Tree surrounded by tulips
The field behind is fallow this year, but last year it was filled with tulips. They must rotate them for maximum benefit to the environment.
Some favorites of mine
I love the pretty two-color tulips in the middle, surrounded by the ruby colored ones. Just amazing!
Fields and fields of tulips
And then we walked through the fields of tulips behind the display gardens, and we enjoyed them, too. By the time we had been there a couple of hours, we decided to go to La Conner and have lunch. Since we got there a little early, we didn't have to wait long. By the time we were served, it was packed! Then we headed home, filled to the brim with good food, great eye candy, and a huge number of pictures! If you want to see more, go to Linda Letters' website, where she posted 77 fabulous pictures.
:-)

17 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip and experience. Glad you can go with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS look forward to seeing your tulip festival as I plan and plant for our own tiny version. Many thanks - off to visit your friend now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorites - I look forward to the "tulip post" every year! I wish they had something similar here. The tulips are absolutely stunning. Yes, it must take SO much planning and keeping the different colored bulbs organized.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time, beautiful flowers and great loving friends to share it all with. Those are the BEST of times! Love the photos, they're awesome!

    Wishing you a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The grape hyacinths look so good as meandering rivers amongst the tulips. Such beautiful displays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a great display of flowers couldn't help but put you in a great mood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Monday full of eye candy hasn't faded yet, but I like having your refresher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your pics! My favorite are always the pale pink tulips. Glad you had such a fun Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely dose of eye candy. I can just hear the ooh's and aahs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful day for you and your friends! I so enjoyed your photos of all the tulips! We are still at home, Far Guy is still struggling and I am still exhausted :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigh.... I remember. I remember. It's definitely one of the MOST beautiful places to enjoy the springtime tulip season. The happy memory of seeing it with you will always stay with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Looks like it was more vibrant than usual this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are lucky you can see the tulips so easily on a yearly basis. I would have to fly there at great expense.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.