Saturday, April 20, 2019

It ain't over till it's over

Yogi Berra 1953
Last Thursday on our hike, somehow we got to talking about Yogi Berra. Although I'd heard his name often enough and knew he was a famous baseball player, the thing I knew most about him was his "Yogi-isms." From Wikipedia:
Berra was also well known for his impromptu pithy comments, malapropisms, and seemingly unintentional witticisms, known as "Yogi-isms." His "Yogi-isms" very often took the form of either an apparent tautology or a contradiction, but often with an underlying and powerful message that offered not just humor, but wisdom.
We managed to come up with several of them, and they had us laughing as we regaled each other with our favorites. My own favorite is told that when giving directions to Joe Garagiola Sr. to his New Jersey home, which was accessible by two routes: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Another favorite is "You can observe a lot by watching."

I didn't know much about him before looking him up at that link, but I learned that he was an amazing catcher and hitter for the New York Yankees for many seasons. He was only 5'7" tall, but apparently he was able "both to swing the bat like a golf club to hit low pitches for deep home runs and to chop at high pitches for line drives."
His combination of bat control and plate coverage made Berra a feared "clutch hitter," proclaimed by rival manager Paul Richards "the toughest man in the league in the last three innings." 
And he was a legendary catcher as well. All of this information was news to me, until looking him up on Google. Many books have been written about him, and in 2005, The Economist named him "The Wisest Fool of the Past Fifty Years," based on his manner of speaking. He lived a good long life and died in his sleep at the age of 90, in 2015. If you're interested, that Wikipedia link will give you much more information about this unique and delightful person.
:-)

10 comments:

  1. You can indeed observe a lot by watching.
    I wonder whether his style of speech was planned or not? Dying in your sleep at ninety isn't a bad way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Yankees fan in my youth, and we all knew and loved Yogi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember listening to baseball games when Yogi played. Interesting character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up with baseball in my genes! And I grew up with Yogi just as my own kids grew up with Derek Jeter (Yankees shortstop). My dad took me to ballgames at Busch Stadium many summers. Bud & I followed the Colorado Rockies for Spring Training in Tucson. We went to several AZ. D'backs games. I still love the sport very much.

    I think my favorite of Yogi's statements would be "Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical." Of course, mine would have to do with the game. You couldn't help but anticipate what he would say when interviewed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those two yogi comments made me laugh. What a great guy with a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought Coach on Cheers was a little like Yogi. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never a Yankee fan but always a Yogi fan. He played the game right and his "isms" were delightful. One of my favorites was "Always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise they won’t come to yours."

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favourites:

    I usually take a two hour nap from one til four.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A long time ago I had his baseball card:) I love Yogi isms:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything I've heard about him, he was quite a character.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.