Saturday, March 30, 2019

Saturday fun in the sun

Whatcom Falls and sunbeams
Another amazingly beautiful sunny Saturday, with a couple dozen of us walkers heading to Whatcom Falls park to enjoy an almost-five-mile loop, before returning to the parking lot and then heading out for coffee and snacks. I have taken this particular picture for years, because it's always new to my eyes, and today it has just the right amount of water flowing over the rocks. Not too much and not too little, so I took several. This one has rays of the sun in the upper right, making it a favorite.
Catkins and pussy willows
At one point I looked up to see the blossoms and catkins in front of the blue blue sky. Catkins are notorious for giving me a case of the sniffles, but I'm armed with my daily dose of FloNase, which is helping me get through the allergy season in good shape. Everything here is coming alive and gracing our walks with daffodils in abundance and blossoms on the trees. Makes me so happy.
Front porch flowers
I have planted almost all of my pots on the front porch this year, with just a few still awaiting new flowers. The trees are still not showing any buds, but that will change within the next week or so, I suspect. It's greening up everywhere. We are quite a bit below normal in expected rainfall for the year, which is unusual for us. I think we have only had about a quarter of our annual precipitation normal by this time of the year.
Closeup of the flowers
Now the next place for my outdoor energy will go into the garden. I've bought the compost bags to add to my plot before beginning my planting. I have noticed that most of the other gardeners have already started, so I don't want to get too far behind. The afternoon, and the sunshine, is beckoning.
:-)

13 comments:

  1. Loving your enthusiasm for the advent of spring. Your flowers are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an exciting time for sure! Love your enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're making a very attractive flower boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it that you have been bitten by the gardening bug. Spring in the Pacific Northwest can do that to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What welcoming sight on your porch. Well done. That five mile loop sounds doable and pleasant. Your 10 mile hikes wear me out just reading about them:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those flowers on your porch. What a pleasure it must be to step out there and see all that color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How true that spring is allergy season, but it's definitely worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your porch is a riot of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your flower planters look just gorgeous! I won't be planting mine until May. Enjoy your time in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being outdoors this time of year, walking...yard work...flowers...gardens...it's a perfect place to be. Love your potted flowers & waterfall!! Our pecan tree has catkins & cover our driveway each season...don't have allergies, but tbey ARE messy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those flowers do look pretty. Sounds like an idyllic time for you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.