Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Now that's weird

Astronomy Picture of the Day
I read the Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) each morning when I get up to start my day, part of my morning routine. This one caught my eye, because it looks like I'm seeing the moon rising through a mountain. But it's actually the shadow of a mountain, with the sun setting behind the camera, with an almost-new moon. You can read all about it here, on APOD. A beautiful optical illusion.

We are just getting ready to experience some warmer weather for a change, and everybody is excited, since we've been much colder than normal for the entire month of February and the first part of March. It's about time. This means that all those patches of ice that have bothered our hikes will soon be history.

My baby brother turns 60 tomorrow, which astounds me. I remember the day he was born, in Texas, when I was sixteen. I remember dropping an ink cartridge that day in school. In my mind's eye, I can still see the dark spread of black ink on the tile, thinking that it figures: it was Friday the 13th. Now it seems like it was a lucky day after all. Happy birthday, dear brother!
:-)

15 comments:

  1. That photo is beautiful, and baffling.
    Happy Birthday to your little brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing photo!Happy b-day to your younger bro!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lucky day for all involved!

    I saw the falls in Yosemite turn into fire when the sun setting light hit it! They call it a firefall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinda weird for sure. As to changing though on past event my recent struggles involve my own life have left me thinking that a dark cloud was following me. My dear d.i.l. as Iv'e survived them all in reasonable good shape there was no dark cloud but guardian angels who are following and protecting me...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Temperatures are rising here . Keep on sending the warm stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you explained the amazing photo. I'd have never figured it out.
    Happy Birthday to your brother. Somehow we don't mind our own aging but are so surprised when our younger relatives do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to your brother. I was 60 too once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great photo! Happy Birthday to your brother:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your brother! It's my birthday too, I'm four years younger than him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. I'm the only one left in my fifties, all my siblings are in their 60's and 70's. It was funny when it happened in my 40's, now it's just kinda sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your brother. Sixty is a big one as I remember.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As the youngest kid myself, I think I can safely say that your brother appreciates the happy birthday. Sounds like you're a great older sister!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks DJan (and everyone else). And happy belated birthday to Pippa!

    I don't think I ever knew that a black ink spill portended my birth. That's cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the coolest shot! We have a lot of 13s in my family. March 13 is my nephew’s birthday. Happy birthday to your wonderful brother.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.