Saturday, March 2, 2019

Beautiful Bellingham

Taken by Mark Swenson
One of my favorite things to do on Facebook is peruse the lovely pictures of different Bellingham scenes. I found this one taken recently of the Canadian mountains visible from Taylor Dock, one of my most loved walks. Those are the Golden Ears Provincial Park mountains shining above Belllingham Bay.

It was the Saturday walking group that first introduced me to many of the places I like to visit around town. This morning we met at the ferry terminal in Fairhaven and walked towards Arroyo Park. It's still pretty icy in spots, and for that reason we didn't go as far as we normally would. It was still a very lovely way to begin the weekend, with full sunshine warming us up quickly. I feel so incredibly lucky to have found this perfect place to spend my retirement years.

My wanderlust has certainly waned over the years, and I find myself content to venture out into the areas around here during the winter, taking longer trips up to the Mt. Baker wilderness in the short summer season. As the days begin to lengthen and it's light when I wake in the morning, I've begun to think of the mountains, as well as our community garden that has turned me into someone who can tell the difference between a weed and a burgeoning vegetable plant! Who would have guessed?
:-)

15 comments:

  1. You have got your life into a position where you just keep rolling along from one good thing to another. One has to make a huge effort to get to this place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you found the perfect retirement place. I love reading about your life there in beautiful Bellingham.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful view! :) yes Garden planning must take place soon for you, we have months yet! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a view people pay money for. Not too far off when you will be getting your hands dirty. Veggie gardening sure is fun and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You live in a bit of paradise, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a wonderful feeling to feel so blessed. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A stunning view!!
    Yes, won't be long for you till it is time to pull weeds and plant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure do have some beautiful mountains in the Pac. Northwest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ...a regular "farmer's daughter" you've become! And oh what a photo. Breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, those mountains are stunning! No wonder you enjoy living there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a view. That would be so uplifting to see in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear DJan, as I read your posting about the mountains and viewed the photograph, a book came to mind that my mother bought back in the 1940s and that I later read and then read with the juniors in a New Hampshire high school. The book is "Look to the Mountain" (or mountains). It is a historical novel that takes place before and during the Revolutionary war. The novel centers on the New England states. The students really enjoyed it as they learned about a different time while also reading about places they had seen on trips with their families. I'm thinking you might like the book. I can't remember the author. but I'll look it up. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. DJan, the author is LeGrand Cannon, Jn. and the book's on Amazon, but I'm betting it may be in your library also because it's sort of a classic. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! The mountains look so incredibly spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.