Saturday, March 16, 2019

Springtime gardening

Pretty crocus in bloom
It's finally happening in our little corner of the country: spring is coming on fast! After plenty of below-normal temperatures, it's finally beginning to warm up, and everywhere I look I see green shoots coming up out of the ground, and crocus and snowdrops are in bloom already. That was sure fast.
Carter, our garden's overseer for 2019
s
Carter planting his own starts
We have one gardener who has done more than anybody else in last year's garden to make the entire place better for everybody. We're calling Carter the Overseer, and he's willing to help anybody with anything at all. He helped put straw into my area last fall, and this year I have NO weeds to pull up. I just went out to see how things are looking. Carter likes to get his hands dirty, but I always wear gardening gloves so that I can keep my hands and fingernails moderately clean.

I'm going out to buy my first flowers for the front porch and, of course, some new gardening gloves.
:-)

14 comments:

  1. Lovely floral colours!

    It's colder here than it was yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love seeing the Crocus in bloom, what a pretty color !
    Isn't that lovely that a young man takes such an interest in gardening, and is willing to help others along the journey.
    Kudos to Carter !
    Enjoy your garden shopping :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, gloves. My sister had to go to the doctor, because a thorny bush in the yard left thorns in her finger. She was prescribed an antibiotic for staph infection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carter looks like a serious gardener!
    Gloves are essential as far as I am concerned. Mine are getting a work out, as we continue to clean out beds, snip, prune, weed, and groom, getting ready for the spring growth. We'll have to wait a bit yet before starting vegetables and flowers in the raised beds. The sun needs to be higher in the sky to get enough sun over the tree tops and warm the soil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah for Carter and for you with no weeds! I bet you get some Pansys or Violas:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to get going at gardening but even for Belling ham it's still early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carter deserves his title. So glad you have no weeds to deal with this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow! So nice to have a garden helper!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We heard from a friend that there were two open plots available this year at our community garden. So we went down to take a look. They were very well marked and laid out, and we could almost envision the beans and squash and tomato plants rising out of the rich earth. Then we studied the fencing that some of the people had around their garden. We thought about the squirrels. We thought about the groundhogs. We thought about the deer, and the bugs, and the grubs. Then B leveled a look at me. "I say no," she finally said. "Okay," I replied. A minute later she asked me, "How did you feel when I said no." And I said, "Relieved." God bless the gardeners of this world. But we can't do it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for Carter. A gift to the garden and you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet you can't wait to get your veggies in the ground. Spring is here yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great guy Carter is! You can’t really tell it’s spring here, but I just planted some flowers in our garden too. I hope they grow as well as your garden does.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can call me CarterII. I always have good intentions, like you, with gloves. But, eventually I take them off and work the soil with bare hands. It's a different story, tho, when I help Bud trim the thorny stuff. Then, it's LEATHER gloves!! Can't wait to see your potted plants! Spring! I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.