Thursday, March 21, 2019

Mud Lake 2019

Today's group; Melanie took the picture
Twelve Senior Trailblazers went on a rather hard hike today, to one of my least favorite places, Mud Lake. Why is that, you ask? Let me tell you about our day. It starts out at the Pine and Cedar trailhead and starts going straight up: in 1.6 miles, you gain 1,300 feet of elevation (almost 400 meters) before you get to the junction with the Hemlock trail. And that's just the start.
Woodpeckers did this? 
We passed this amazing dead tree, where it appears that woodpeckers have been mining it for bugs and making it into a work of art. The trail is very nice at the beginning, even if steep, as you can see here.
Mud Lake
Instead of going to Pine and Cedar Lakes, at least at first, we kept going on the trail until we ran into an old logging road. This road takes us down around 800 feet to the lake, where we considered having lunch, but some of us really don't like to hike back uphill after lunch, so we decided to head to Pine Lake first. So we turned around and hiked back up.
Boardwalks to Pine Lake
By the time we got to Pine Lake, we ran into our first snow of the day. It was pretty slippery on the boardwalks that take you over to our usual lunch spot. And when we looked at the lake, this is what we saw.
Pine Lake
The lake is still mostly covered with ice! On the far shore you can see a bit of open water, and in the foreground some slushy ice, but all the rest of the lake is still frozen. And this is after a week of very warm weather.
Our lunch spot
Once we made it safely to our usual place for lunch, we settled in for a lovely break from all that strenuous work. By this time we had covered well over six miles and lots of elevation, so it was nice to rest for awhile.
Cedar Lake
After lunch, we headed over to Cedar Lake, because a few of us wanted to get to the Cedar Lake viewpoint. This did add some distance to our hike, which made me a bit grumpy, as I was already feeling well worked out. I mislaid my sense of humor but was able to find it again once we made it to the viewpoint.
Mt. Baker and the Sisters
What a spectacular view! As you can see, the weather was perfect, and the high clouds only made it more beautiful. Now it was time to head back to the cars. We still had a fair amount of distance to cover, most of it downhill, which always makes my knees complain. I couldn't have done it without my trekking poles to lean on.
Melanie looking for the other hikers
In this picture, we were almost down, and Melanie, our leader for the day, was conscientiously looking to see the last person before we went on any farther. I was glad to stop for a minute. But finally, we were back down, having covered well over nine miles and 2,900 feet of elevation (almost 900 meters)! No wonder I feel so tired.

But it was a really good day, and once my knees and bunion stop hurting, I'll be very glad I did it. The company was once again delightful, and the fact that I can still do this makes me very happy.
:-)

15 comments:

  1. Goodness that seems like a hard hike, but what gorgeous vistas you are treated to along it's path.
    Glad you made it home in one piece :)
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice time of year for hiking...no bugs, not too hot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have certainly earned your rest this evening. Blue sky and cooler temps make for a perfect hiking day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you made it back down again. Sounds like a hard hike:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mountainous view is quite something to behold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, Jan. Magnificent scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful view--but what a trek! Sounds like you still enjoyed it even if it was a rough hike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great hike! Looks wonderful and I'm sure a whole bunch of calories burned along the way. And yes - trekking poles are a must!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And getting to do it in such a spectacular place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always amaze me. I was huffing even before your lunch break. So glad the weather was nice and the views spectacular. Feel proud as you heal up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, just reading about your hike leaves me exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of elevation gain and loss plus mileage. Awesome that you did it! My feet usually start complaining at about 7-8 miles, though I'm better in cold weather than in hot. Those views were worth the effort!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DJan a little grumpy! Say it isn't true!

    ReplyDelete
  14. An extreme work-out, indeed! But, oh my, just look at those views.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You do have the most gorgeous trails in your area, but that would really wear me out.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.