Saturday, March 9, 2019

Alternate walk destination

Whatcom Falls
This morning I got a text from our Saturday leader, Cindy, just as I was getting ready to leave, changing our destination from the Chanterelle trail to the Barkley gazebo. She had received my tale of our exploits last Thursday, and she finally decided to take us on a flat walk of about the same distance, but into the Whatcom Falls park instead. I'm glad she did, since I'm convinced there are probably lots of icy patches still to be navigated on the other trail. The difference was that the Thursday group is expecting to be hiking on possibly challenging terrain, but the Saturday morning walkers are not. It was beautiful this morning, sunny and cold.

We walked about five miles total, with a few icy patches to be crossed, but it was flat and there was no new snow hiding the slippery stretches. It's amazing that we are still dealing with difficult terrain, more than two weeks afterwards. Not our usual situation, not at all. Everyone was happy after we finished our walk and had coffee together. Lily and I left early to find breakfast at Whole Foods. But before we left, look what we saw:
Plants galore
Fresh flowers to plant in your garden! This means that it won't be long at all now before I can replace the dead flowers on my front porch with live ones. And also, even though we still have snow and ice underfoot here and there, spring is really not that far away. Tonight we lose an hour as we move our clocks forward, another sign that winter is really ready to be put to bed for another season.
:-)

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics... the falls and the plants! I'm anxious to put my hanging herbs back up in the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A five-mile walk, wow, I'm impressed !
    What a gorgeous waterfall, and those plants really encourages the gardener inside me :)
    Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes my unfavorite time if the year ...changing clocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our electricity was out for five hours Saturday morning so I changed the clocks over early when it came back on. Had a snowstorm yesterday so no goodbye to winter here--LOL! I have 3 and 4 foot snow drifts on my patio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ice is so dangerous. Lots of it under foot here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh a nice level walk. Now you are speaking my language. Sounds like a pleasant walk with few places to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, it's nice to have 4 seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear DJan, flowers always, always, seem to lift up our hearts. Remember that poem--I think by Wordsworth or maybe Coleridge--"My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky"? that's what flowers do for me and it would seem---for you, too! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spring has arrived! Just look at those gorgeous bedding flowers. Soon, you'll be working on your garden.

    Beautiful waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Spring has arrived! Just look at those gorgeous bedding flowers. Soon, you'll be working on your garden.

    Beautiful waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring has arrived! Just look at those gorgeous bedding flowers. Soon, you'll be working on your garden.

    Beautiful waterfall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Flowers! they look so good and unfrozen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I’m so glad we don’t have to deal with the time change here in Hawaii. The only problem is remembering when I call the kids in Maryland and Illinois. Yay for spring! You have the most beautiful spring scenery in your area.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.