Thursday, February 10, 2011

Stewart Mountain 2011

Fourteen Senior Trailblazers carpooled to the trailhead at Lake Whatcom, seen as the blue expanse in this picture, our first view. That's Bellingham Bay on the left and the city below us. We had to pass through several icky parts on our way to a great view, including transmission power lines and areas of clearcut. One thing they do here in Washington state is cut every last tree when clearing an area of trees, it can be quite disconcerting. We had to gain our view of Mt. Baker and the Twin Sisters by climbing up through way too much of this.
We gained almost 3,000 feet on this hike, giving us a good workout, and if you look closely you can see some of my fellow hikers picking their way through the detritus. However, once we reached the summit, we have a really lovely view of the Twin Sisters, as you can see. There was a layer of cloud dissecting the Sisters, but it gave the view an especially mysterious feeling, to me.
That's the Nooksack Valley down below, with a little bit of fresh snow, and behind those clouds you can see that the wind must have been quite intense. You don't see those lenticular clouds without winds. And then this picture of Mt. Baker just looks like an ice cream cone hidden behind that cloud.
The full sun and the lack of any wind at the summit, where we were, allowed us to take a leisurely lunch and not hurry back down the road. It is always a good workout on this hike, much of which is on old logging roads. At the top, we had a skiff of snow, not too much to make it hard hiking, but enough to give some visibility to show our descent.
The days are getting longer, we are gaining more than three minutes of daylight every day, but you can see the afternoon shadows are still quite long as we head back down to our cars. We walked ten miles, up 2,700 feet in total, and to let you know HOW we knew the distance and the elevation gain and loss, here is our fearless leader (Al) on the right and Fred on the left, comparing their readings. You would think they would always agree, being GPS and all, but they don't. We take an average. As soon as we get to the cars, we all head over to find out how far, how high. I don't know why it matters so much, but it does. We had a good day, and it was exactly where I needed to be, to clear my head and make me feel gratitude for my wonderful hiking buddies.
 Am I lucky or what??
:-)

16 comments:

  1. Exhilarating views once again! These are wonderful hikealogues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're sure lucky to have such good buddies. And we're lucky to have the pleasure of knowing you here in the land of blog....I'm glad you were with such good people...especially today. It must be hard for you to be so far from your sister at this time...
    Thanks for the beautiful views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 miles is long for me. Off hand, what is the longest distance you've ever hiked?

    ReplyDelete
  4. 3000 feet elevation gain is a good "puff." Keeping at this every week really keeps a person in good shape.
    The days cetainly are lengthening. However,we'll be a while yet before things break here ...towards the end of March.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous view...makes me a bit sad about the trees...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are lucky. I think about you often when I am stuck in my rut. I would love to be a part of a hiking group that sees the beautiful scenery that you do. Of course, I would have to get this body in much better shape to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should be tired tonight after that hike! Beautiful views..thanks for taking us along! Take Care of yourself:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had your lungs. Or I should say, lungs as good as your lungs. Wow. Such beauty you guys trample over. Hard to imagine. Does your nose get red and freeze?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful views. I can almost feel the rush of inhaling that fresh clean air.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely earned bragging rights on that one. Wow! What a view.

    ReplyDelete
  11. those are some views to cheer you up huh? I'm keeping track of those three minutes we're gaining each day... :)
    glad I came to visit, I always love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sure are lucky! Beautiful views!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky perhaps. But strong and fit and able, for sure! 2,700 feet and ten miles is a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are just the bomb girl. I was thinkin' of you yesterday as I was trudgin' across the snow doin' my chores. All I can say is you rock!

    Have a beautiful weekend sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey sweetie I just wanted to thank you for your comment and support on the Angel post. She is a sweetheart!

    If ya didn't see it you can hit the green August in the first paragraph and read her story from the beginning since you are relatively new to my place.

    God bless ya and have an amazin' day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We used to hike more. Then I ruptured my right Achilles tendon and badly sprained my left ankle, so I took a break. I'm still on the break. I think I'll see if I can persuade someone to take a short hike with me.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.