Friday, February 25, 2011

The snowbird phenomenon

Down here in Zephyrhills, the sheer number of retirement communities blows my mind. Every time I drive down a different street, I see a road leading to a trailer park or another mobile home subdivision, and the traffic is pretty solid going in and out of them. My sister Norma Jean lives in Betmar Acres, a 55-and-older retirement community with 1600 homes. She tells me that at least half of the residents are snowbirds, most of whom come from the eastern part of the country: Ontario, Canada; Maine, New York, and Michigan.
This morning before 8:00 am, we went to the pool so Norma Jean could swim laps. It's right next to one of the golf courses, and here you can see the golfers heading out in the early morning light to beat the rush. I can see why people would like to escape the cold and snow of the fall and winter, since the temperature here in February is amazing, with an average daily high temperature around 72 degrees. Right now we are having a heat wave of 80 degrees or hotter, but this community has three nine-hole executive courses and two outdoor swimming pools, one of which is Olympic size. They also boast their own library, three clubhouses, and the largest covered shuffleboard court in Florida. Lots for the old folks to do.
Norma Jean and her other early-morning lap swimmer, Midge, are engaged in their daily meditation. Nobody talks or chats until the laps are done. Midge is 80 and has been swimming for her entire life. Norma Jean started swimming after her joints deteriorated from the pounding caused by years of running. After the swim, the residents have this lovely hot tub to soak their aches and pains away. (Okay, maybe not away, but it sure feels good. I swam with NJ yesterday, soaked in the tub, and plan to join her again tomorrow.)
The other thing the residents have in common here are a lot of widows and widowers, since so many of the people here are, well, old. Many are quite fit and work hard at maintaining their activity level. Being here in the winter, though, I see why the year-rounders have trouble with the snowbirds: the population of Zephyrhills triples and traffic everywhere is exponentially increased. Everywhere we go the lines are long, and the sound of Maine accents and Canadian brogues is ubiquitous. It's interesting for me to consider how many of these people must have residences in two places and the subsequent costs incurred in maintaining two separate homes.

While I walked around the grounds taking pictures this morning, I met a very nice couple, Vera and Don, who were out for a walk, her with a walker, him with a cane, and another friend also with a walker. When I took her picture, Vera kicked the walker out of the way, since she is recovering from a broken ankle and doesn't really need it. They told me they came to visit a friend a few years ago and within a couple of days they owned a home here and just love it.
Vera and Don, Betmar snowbirds
The old oak trees with Spanish moss make a nice backdrop to this happy couple out for a walk in the early morning. I went back to the pool and hopped on Norma Jean's golf cart to head back home. Until I came to visit, I had never understood the snowbird phenomenon, and now I do. Although it takes a certain level of income to maintain it, I think if I had the wherewithal I myself would be tempted!
:-)

25 comments:

  1. It sounds like a great place for retirement, if you can afford it. There is plenty of scope for physical activity, if you are up to it and if you are not, then there is plenty of company for chatting over coffee. As the world population gets older, there will be more and more of these 'nuisance' types of villages, won't there. I'd better put my name down now because it won't be long before I need that sort of living myself. I wouldn't choose Florida though - too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand the draw. I would think the relief from arthritis, not to mention the ability to stay active year round, would be appealing. There's also the fact that with that many people and activities it would be easier to get up and motivated. I think one of the biggest problem for retirees is the lack of a reason to get up and get dressed each morning. I think that sort of environment would be conducive to creating a reason.

    Enjoy your swimming and soaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see why it is your sister loves it there. It looks like a great place to live. I sure would love the climate.


    "Canadian brogue" Is that what we have? I never thought aboot it that way, eh? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah we used to experience this when i lived in FL (just outside tampa in valrico)...looks like a really cool place...you might have a hard time getting me out of the hot tub though...smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a great place to retire--what's not to enjoy? You can enjoy the best of both worlds and visit your sister. I grew up in Florida and I enjoy returning to visit. It is hot and humid, but so is PA in the summer, where I live now. I'm not the type to want to maintain two residences although it is tempting on those snowy days in PA. I suppose snowbirds enjoy that lifestyle as do people who enjoy RV living. My current priority is living anywhere if it is near my grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds ideal. If I was able I would move to Florida in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care for the extra traffic or long lines, but the thought of a winter without snow would make dealing with them worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zephirhills sounds very pleasant, apart from the nice weather there is the fact that it may be easier to meet and make friends. Here, it is not easy. I retired in Jan. 08 and since then I have only gone out to lunch 3 times, with the same friend from work, and no one else, and of course have had no one visit me either or gone anywhere with anyone but my husband. I met my new next door neighbor, across the lake, 2 years ago during a snow day and gave him my email address. He said he would send me his, but he never did. So, Zephyrhills sounds quite different. This is why I appreciate my blogging friends so much. I looked and saw that I followed your blog 6 weeks after I started mine in March 2009. I am so pleased I found you and I thank you for having been such a faithful friend during these 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan - I had to close my blog because of a hacker. I'll keep up with you and other bloggers when things are sorted out. Just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you considered living in the same community as your sister? Would Smart Guy go for it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant on a year round basis, not as a snow bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For many snow birds the sunny south is a second lease on life. They remain active throughout the year. They also are active socially .All these things contribute to a much better health.
    My Dad spent 15 winters in Pheonix. His last ten he spent freezing his butt of in the snow. I know what was best for him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that was really interesting to read about. Can't say what I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not for me, I think. My home isn't just a place I live, my home is part of me and who I am. And wherever I've traveled, I've always been glad to be back home.
    And I would not like to be surrounded by only old people.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was struck by the contrast between these photos and the activities of the day and those you usually post. I'm used to seeing hikes in the snow. Now, here you are swimming in the sun.

    I understand the draw of living in such a place. I wanted to buy a house in Phoenix and spend winters there. Then, I got real. We couldn't afford it, and I wasn't sure I would like living around only people over 55. I also think I would miss the seasonal changes - all of which we experience in one day in Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well the mention of widowers might be a good reason for me head on down to the sunshine state (!)...but I'm not good with the humidity. Becoming a snowbird sounds good although I would probably not like the upkeep of 2 houses. The hot tub would be wonderful about now. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Please come back, Jan. I miss you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gosh! That does indeed sound like a great place to escape winter and retire to. I think a lot of people retire to Hawaii also, but not as much because it's pretty darn expensive over here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Talk about coincidence. We just got back from visiting cousins in Florida and I had many of the same impressions as you did. Then we went to watch the skydivers in Sebastian like you did. Except I didn't jump like you do DJ.... being the big chicken that I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good...we live in such a community...we don't have a golf course per se, but our sister community has one we can also use.

    We live in homes rather than mobile homes, but there are basically five models so the community basically resembles a mobile home park. The houses are pretty close together...

    One can be as busy or as reclusive as one wants to be. We live in the foothills, an area called Anthem, in Henderson, Nevada. It is very quiet and a challenge to find. We really do enjoy the peace and quiet.

    All the guests we have agree in having the best nights sleep they ever had.

    I am so glad Norma Jean has a nice place to live with activities and friends to do things with...when she is ready.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It does sound like great fun if you have the money to do it. My mother and father in law head to Texas from NC the day after Christmas. They stay in their motor home. I like the idea of everyone being over a 55 (was it).

    ReplyDelete
  21. "This morning before 8:00 am, we went to the pool so Norma Jean could swim laps."

    Siiiigggghhhh.....

    ReplyDelete
  22. Am laughing out loud about this post - the # of retirement communities. Welcome to florida. Any part of florida. If they aren't retirement communities, they are gated communities!

    But this one looks pretty. Love spanish moss. And that pool is BIG

    ReplyDelete
  23. Do you think you could hit that swimming pool from a plane?

    I don't love summer enough for the snowbird urge. I don't travel much, but my heart pulls me northward. Must be the Norwegian blood. Winter suits my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I loved the winter that we spent in Florida, however as much as I loved it, my husband hated it. I can say the one year that we were stationed in Florida..the summer was brutal..people stay inside in the summer like we do up here in the winter.
    It looks wonderful to me, just the thought of being outdoors without a parka on sounds good to me.
    Enjoy it while you are there..you can go back to winter soon enough:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is really wonderful to live in a community like Betmar Acres and retirement communities long island because you are being surrounded by great amenities. We can stay active and enjoy life even if we are getting older.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.