Thursday, February 10, 2011

Goodbye Pete

My brother Buz took this picture of my sister Norma Jean and Pete last January at Disney World, where they spent a wonderful time together. (That's why Norma Jean has Minnie Mouse ears on her head.) I couldn't sleep this morning, tossing and turning thinking about Pete. I called yesterday to see how things were going, since I hadn't heard anything and no blog post from Pete. Norma Jean told me Pete had been taken to the Hospice quarters and she wasn't optimistic. The only posts we'll see in the future on his blogs will be put there by others, since Pete died this morning at 5:20 EST. His daughter Allison has put a short post on his blog, "Out of My Multiple Minds."

My heart goes out to all of us who loved Pete's incorrigible spirit, his multiple minds, and his incredible talent. He was good at anything he put his mind to (any one of them), and he died prematurely of pulmonary emphysema because of a lifelong smoking habit.

This is one of those very few times when I will be putting two posts up on the same day, since I will be heading out with the Trailblazers to enjoy today's sunshine while thinking of my family in Florida. Hopefully I will be heading there in the near future for whatever is decided to be done to honor him.
:-(

23 comments:

  1. hugs.

    sorry for you loss. prayers for the family...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate for all of you to have had him in your lives. God bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry, DJan. Pete's Feb. 4th post was heart wrenching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so very sorry DJan. Hope you are holding up okay...it's good your getting out in nature to reflect on Pete. I'll hold you and your family in my thoughts. And will check out the blog post you mentioned...although I'm already sitting here in tears for you.
    Sending you my love...and a big hug. Hang in there kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss your family has suffered. Go out into the hills, hold your loved ones in your heart, and may the sunshine be warm upon your shoulders and make you happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, in spite of knowing his death was imminent it seems to have moved quicker than expected. Blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very sorry, DJan. Lighting a candle for Pete so that he finds his way easily through the afterlife.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DJan, I'm so sorry for your loss. Big hugs sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My condolences D-Jan. It is so very sad to lose a family member. My thoughts are with you.
    xx Star

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for your loss, will keep your sister and her family in my prayers.....:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hugs to you my friend and to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry for your loss. I will be keeping all of you in my thoughts as you go through the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sympathy to you and your family Djan, for the loss of Pete. I only followed him a short time but he impressed me by his sharp wit, fiestiness and complete caring for others.
    Amazing character! I will truly miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw... Djan, I am so sorry. Please extend my condolencs to the rest of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. DJan, I'm so sorry that you have lost him. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry. I've been thinking about you, wondering how he was. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I read the story about Pete and sorta flipped out as this fate awaits me. Since I have emphysema and asthma and both lungs are shot. I am on oxygen and can do little without the cannula in my nose. The good lord works in mysterious ways so my fate might be different.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rest in peace, Pete. My condolences to you and your sister. So sorry, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just read this. I am sorry to hear of your sister's husband's death. She seemed like such a great man. I admire his courage and determination. I am sorry for the loss. Blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.