Monday, February 7, 2011

All spaced out

I put this picture of a beautiful little owl on my blog a while back, and now that I need a picture of one of these little guys again, I'm reusing it. Sorry I don't know where it came from originally, but here's the story:

I was walking back from the gym on my way to the bus this morning, when I saw a sign that caught my eye: "WATCH THE SUPERB OWL HERE" Intriguing! But then I realized that it was a sports bar, and somebody had put a space between the B and the O, which changed the original meaning quite drastically. The sign was from yesterday, when everybody was watching the Superbowl. Interesting what just a little change in spacing can do.

I was also reminded yesterday of the difference a little spacing can make in different words. For example, the words "now" and "here" when added together make "nowhere," the opposite meaning of the two words apart. A few years ago I read a wonderful little book called "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" and wrote a blog post about it, which I called "My inner stickler," illustrating what a big difference a comma can make in the description of a panda. I have a link to the book in that post, if you haven't read it and want a good read about grammar.

When I was working as an editor, it was difficult for me to read anything without a red pen in hand, so I could mark up an article and correct common errors. The proofreading symbols were deeply ingrained in me, and it's interesting to notice that I'm finally released from the need to correct everything. When I read another blog post that has grammatical errors in it, I don't even flinch any more, just feel it flow over me, I notice it but feel no need to get all huffy and upset about it. As a detail-oriented editor, I soon realized that a single reading of an article would not be enough to catch all the errors. I would have to clean it up, reprint it, and read it again. It often amazed me how many errors I had missed on the first read. And today, when I post something new, often Smart Guy will read it and point out a typo now and then. I don't even get my feathers ruffled! I guess I've moved far enough away from performance anxiety to be moderately relaxed about these things. That's real progress.

This is not to say that I'm now above it all, far from it. The other day somebody saw my business card and asked if I am available for possible editing work. Two feelings emerged: one, I knew I could make his project better and thought perhaps I should; and two, I was sure I really don't want to get back on that bandwagon. Once I begin to get into the details, I can't lay it down easily. My inner stickler is slumbering; let's not wake her up again!
:-)

28 comments:

  1. Superb Owl madem el augh righ toutlo ud. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah typos..they used to bother me too..not so much anymore..yes I think it is best to keep the stickler slumbering:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. Critical thinking is really useful in lots of situations, but not so much in daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny about the superb owl! I have read 'Eats shoots, and leaves' too. It's a very good book isn't it. I also liked the follow-on, which is called 'Talk to the hand.' Have you read that one?
    It is hard to stop 'working' isn't it. I decided to retire out of the music industry at Christmas but everytime I hear someone talk about music for a wedding or a band wanting promotion, I have to stop myself saying, 'I....'
    Onwards and upwards, D-Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hilary's comment slays me...that is a very cool owl though...i hear you. i stink at grammar...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry...I had to wonder if it is "detailed-oriented" or if the correct way is, "detail-oriented". Must mean we all have the same DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I rarely point out the typos I encounter when reading your posts because I know how much they bother you and because I'm sure I'm a much worse offender. But do you really want us to believe your inner stickler is slumbering? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apostrophe issues drive me mad. Need one, don't have it - or have one, don't need it. If I see an apostrophe issue on a web page for a company, I stop dealing with the company. I figure if they can't get this right, what else will they get wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good eye to pick up little things like this. Some can be incredibly funny.
    I taught language arts and don't miss going over papers.I concentrated on what was good about the papers and attempted to give credit for what was done well instead of nit picking the kid's hard work.
    By the way I don't miss grading papers. I miss the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great comment Hilary! I'm going to have to look at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so lad. While my grammar is good, my typing is not! Love the Superb owl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The owl story cracked me up! I'm sure glad you've lost your need for the red pen...my blog's a mess in the grammar dept. I try to focus on the words the blogger is saying...because it's more of a conversation than a newspaper article. Ya know...like texting. I visit many blogs...and am more interested in what they have to say then how they type it in. I hope my blog friends do the same for me.
    The owl is really cute. I had one hootin' outside my bedroom window recently...kept me up a good part of the night!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear ya! I allowed myself to use a bit of slang here.

    I try really, really hard to put the red pen down. I really do not judge the mistakes I might see in blogs and such, but I can't help but catch them. That is until it come to my own writing. I miss my own mistakes all the time! Then, when I see them later, I die a thousand deaths. I am much harder on myself than others.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the comments. Glad to read most people read the posts and don't see the errors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know what you mean, DJan. I tend to be that way, too. Not as critical as before, but still cringing now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting how the habits stay with us for such a long time. I was a proofreader and long before we met hubby was too. Blogging has helped me let go of using my eyes and brain to find things to correct and to just be able to read what is written in the post. It has been another aspect of giving myself the freedom to relax and live fully. Sounds like you turned down the offer made to you and you don't want the job. Nice to be able to do that, huh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just corrected the error that Norma Jean pointed out, because I had missed it until I just re-read my post! See? She's really asleep, Buz! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahem so now I have to be very careful with my grammar hahaha, I'm trying my best to write everything correctly.

    Btw, the kitties can't even reach food from a bowl so we have to tilt it for them to be able to eat...right now I can hear them crying looking for Mama again. Ho hum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've had an interesting career. I am not a detail person until forced or am on a specific project. And, since you are a reader and a retired editor, it must be hard to not allow yourself to focus in on errors.

    But, good grief, you would probably use up one red pen on my stuff. I read, re-read, and read again before I post then find errors after published, i.e., a word missing, an apostrophe should be here or not, a comma missing or needs to be added, yada, yada! It has been 52 years since I've been in an English grammar class. lol Thank God, though, for spell check and an online dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have a spelling checker.
    It came with my PC.
    It plane lee marks four my revue
    Miss steaks aye can knot see.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you don't get irritated at my posts! Because spelling and grammer are my downfall. But I love writing so I don't let that stop me. By the way I just posted an owl on my blog as well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Superb Owl! So funny.
    Spelling has always been my thing. I was always in Spelling Bees as a young school girl. Typos bother me a little, but I realize most of the time that's what they are - just a key hit (or not hit) by accident. I really hate to see words spelled wrong because someone just can't spell and doesn't bother to look it up - especially in a public place such as billboards or signs. That drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have a hard time reading typos without getting perturbed... especially when I am the one making them. Even with proofreading I still find them in my posts. Really irks me that I can't see them before my post publishes. Maybe I need to have you edit my stuff beforehand:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting observations DJan. When I worked for a newspaper I would write and rewrite and check everything a dozen times. I realize not long ago that I give every post a quick check and hit publish. I'm not really sure when it all changed.

    About the Superb owl, that may not have been a typo. I read an article last week about the term "Super Bowl", it seems using it without paying for the rights to do so is a no no. Businesses who were doing so were receiving cease and desist letters. Said businesses were getting very creative in their advertising to sidestep paying for the advertising rights.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great topic--so many things to think about. I'm not a perfectionist but the current phone texting is frustrating. We expect published works to set a good example, but daily usage is becoming too casual. I have memories of trying to read literature written in Middle English and it shows how a language can change so much in a few generations. The increasing use of acronyms is disturbing because it leads to miscommunication. I am interested in content so I overlook a few typos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I also lived with a red pen in hand as an English teacher, then I changed it to green. Playful look at language here. Eats, shoots...is so much fun. Isn't it wonderful to make the decision not to return to the editor's desk for even part time? Now you can have fun with your own stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw a custom license plate recently that said "Therapist". Good thing a spacing mistake wasn't made there.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.