Thursday, April 20, 2023

Tulip Festival

Tulips galore

Today we, Melanie and I, headed down south to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival which is, I can attest, filled with tulips at the RoozenGaarde display gardens. It's really late for the flowers to be appearing, and we saw lots of fields that are still only showing buds, with unopened flowers that will be showing their beauty at some time in the next week or two. Since Melanie will be out of town next week, we decided to venture down to the fields today. The one good thing I will say about the weather is that it wasn't raining.

Melanie and I bundled up

You might be able to tell by our clothing that it wasn't warm: a twenty-mile-an-hour wind really brought down the temperature, and the fact that we never saw even a little bit of sunshine, meant that we wandered around snapping pictures while trying to stay moderately warm. Thank heavens for gloves, hats, coats and the ability to walk at a fast pace. When the wind was at our backs, it was much easier to enjoy the tulips, hyacinths, and daffodils.

River of hyacinths

One of my favorite places is the display garden hear the entrance. This river of blue hyacinths made for a wonderful fantasy of flowers among the multicolored (and multi-petaled) tulips. There are so many of my favorite tulip varieties mixed in. 

Red tulips make a lovely heart

When I saw this design, I was sure it was multicolored tulips surrounding a red tulip heart, but when I showed the picture to SG, he said maybe it's a glass of red wine. Who knows for sure? I loved seeing the bright colors all around it. 

Tulips to infinity... and beyond

Then we went out to the massive fields of tulips in the area behind the display gardens. They are so beautiful, and the brilliant colors were in no way diminished by the overcast skies. Although I would have spent more time out there, I was trying my best to stay warm and managed to keep walking, even when I would have liked to linger. The wind made it difficult.

Fields and fields of color

We walked around for as long as we could without getting too uncomfortable, and then we went back to the main area to shop in the great gift shop at the gardens. We did make a stop by some favorite displays, like this one.

Another hyacinth ribbon among the tulips

We really did enjoy the fabulous eye candy, and Melanie introduced me to her favorite fudge, available for purchase and to eat there or take home. I bought a sampler of several different kinds of fudge and managed to keep myself from eating too much of it all at once. It's rich and delicious. After that, we went to the gift shop to warm up and also to buy some souvenirs. Or she did, I looked but didn't end up buying anything in there after all.

Farewell until next year

And then it was time to say goodbye after another wonderful trip to the Tulip Festival. We climbed into Mel's car and headed back to Bellingham and drove to Lake Padden to walk 2.6 miles around the lake before going off to have a nice lunch together. It was truly a lovely day, but I am glad to be inside as the rain begins. We are so lucky to have such beautiful places to visit near our homes. Once again, I am grateful for all the fine places available to enjoy, just a short drive from Bellingham.

Melanie snapped this of me unawares

This picture gives me the ability to use it to say, "It is definitely springtime in the Pacific Northwest and thanks for coming along!"

:-)

19 comments:

  1. How beautiful! Too bad it wasn't warmer for you guys.
    I thought it looked like a heart, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine fields of flowers. It's a challenge for full enjoyment on a miserable day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beauty! Thank you for sharing it! I am thrilled that you got to go I know you have been looking forward to it as have I! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colours are gorgeous. The hyacinth river and ribbon are my favourites but the tree in bloom behind you is glorious too. A wonderful outing despite the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How glorious despite the less than clement weather. Even on a grey day those colours pop.
    I vote for a tulip heart rather than a glass of red wine...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite flowers. Beautiful shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many beautiful flowers ... the pictures are beautiful, however, in real life the fields must be breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My gosh, just beautiful--I hope your readers take the time to click on each photo and magnify, these are stunning! Thanks for sharing DJan :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a beautiful presentation. I love the hyacinth rivers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just love looking at those colorful pics of the tulips. Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when you "take us along" with you to the Tulip Festival! As usual, it is stunning! Do they change the displays every year? And if so, I wonder how they keep track of the various colors?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful! Going to the tulip festival near you a few years back is one of our favourite memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will miss it this year, so thanks for the photos. We should have tulips in bloom in our garden soon, and hopefully some in our Whidbey garden, where we will spend a few days next week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Impressive! Thank you for sharing those wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was thrilled to see that you finally got to see the tulips. They are gorgeous and I know they made you very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The tulips are beautiful... but you sure look cold. And you brave the weather all the time... so it must have been pretty chilly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pictures are outstanding! My wife and I went to a local botanical gardens to view the tulips but they don't come close to what you saw.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a great colorful display. There were some tulips when I went to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens and I was so happy to see them, but compared to your fields of tulips, it was a tiny display. The cold would not have been fun though. That’s the good part of being in the Deep South when I visited a garden last week it was 80 F. I love hyacinths and their fragrance. I bought a little blue one at Trader Joe’s and its delicious scent was all over the room. Do you still have your little garden spot? Do you grow any flowers in it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh YES! I'm so glad you both went there. We still have such fond memories of both our visits to those gardens. Well... the 2nd time was best since that was when we got to meet you. I'll always treasure that memory.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.