Thursday, April 6, 2023

Sprinkles on the Chanterelle

Osoberries (Indian Plum)

 Today Melanie and I decided to hike the Chanterelle trail, where we could be sheltered by numerous trees as we made our way to the viewpoint, in sprinkles, as it turned out. Rain was forecast for the entire day, but when we started out, it was just a light but steady drizzle. It stayed that way for the entire hike.

So many mossy trees

I love the wonderful trees that grace this lovely hike, many of them covered with moss; others showing off their elegant symmetry. The trail is well maintained, and although there were a few muddy spots, nothing actually hampered our ascent. We climbed 2.5 miles to the viewpoint, and we then went a bit farther just to increase our distance a little.

Lake Whatcom from the viewpoint

I didn't expect it to be so clear, with rain only softening the edges, not obscuring the view at all. We stayed here long enough for a light snack, then we started up the second part of the hike. We didn't get all that far.

Spooky spot

We traveled up for a short while, but I wasn't interested in making it all the way to the top (which would have made for a ten-mile round trip). When I saw this place along the trail, I figured it would be a good turnaround point. We were hoping to go far enough to give us a total of at least six miles, and this did the trick. We went 6.29 miles round trip, with more than 1,500 feet of elevation gain and loss.

Lake in view between the trees

As we descended back to the trailhead, a few times we got a glimpse of the lake below through the trees.  A couple of times I almost put on my raincoat, but the sprinkles were light enough that I never did. 

Many shades of green

It became another one of those lovely days when we didn't have nearly the discomfort we have endured on other hikes, and it turned out to be just about perfect. The wind came up occasionally, but it never was terribly strong, as it whistled through the trees and then settled back down. 

All in all, it was a really lovely day, and we came back to our regular lives after a fine day in a beautiful Pacific Northwest wild place. I am so grateful to live here, to have a wonderful hiking partner, and to be able to navigate and enjoy the environment without too much difficulty. Life is good!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. I am thrilled for you. And humbled too. A six mile walk is something I would pay for. For days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Just about perfect" sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great forest bath without getting soaked. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fortuitous hiking day!! You are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful area. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is good. We have to work to make life great. Other stuff is just in the cards and we can't do anything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful view from the high ground.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a really good day. Yes, life is good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like Avery fine pre-Easter outing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is indeed. With wild places like Chanterelle and a friend, you make even the rain sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your walks/hikes with Melanie have become a regular feature of your Tuesday/Thursday posts. I like the way you take us along with interesting dialogue and neat photos. Not to mention that you are one of the most reliable bloggers I know … Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday, without fail. I admire that. Have a good weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. At least it was not snow! Glad you had a good hike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a perfect Pacific Northwest day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hi Djani' enjoyin your hiking outings & photos as bef0re having los Ms T 2 years ago now to Alz heimers now M on the sa m pa
    pat in assisted living. however hav e returned to my blog writing book take care, ray

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like lake whatcom viewpoint photo. That would makes beautiful oil painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear DJan, I so agree--life IS good. Congratulations! Peace from Dee and the cats.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.