Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Fifteen years

Lilac buds ready to pop

Walking home today in the blustery wind with raindrops spitting every few minutes, I was hunkered down inside my fleece and with my raincoat pulled up to protect me from the wind and wet. It wasn't pleasant, but on top of that, the sun kept trying to come out to change the narrative. Before long, I was almost home and happy to be thinking about coming inside and getting warm and dry once again.

Just before walking up the driveway to my apartment complex, I saw these lilac bushes sporting beautiful buds, soon to become flowers. Lilacs don't last a long time, but while they're around, they are one of my favorite flowers. And they're purple, too!

Yesterday marks fifteen years since SG and I pulled into this driveway with a U-Haul filled with our Colorado belongings, ready to start our retirement years here in the Pacific Northwest. He had come here earlier, with his car, to find a temporary place for us to use as a "jumping-off place," and he had found a nice two-bedroom apartment and starting staying there for a month or so, before flying back to Boulder to finish our journey. As it has turned out, we are still here, in that same apartment, fifteen years later. 

And we decided that Bellingham was just the place for us after all, not needing to look any further for a good community to join. It was important to find somewhere close to the ocean and not too far from the mountains. Bellingham fits us just right. I am still hiking in the mountains and know the trails around town intimately. We didn't know any of this when we got here, but I cannot imagine having found anywhere else that fits us so well. 

At first, we traveled to Canada (just a half hour away) quite often, but as the years have passed, we have stayed closer to home, and the pandemic closed the border for a few years anyway. Now we make short excursions to local stores for supplies, but otherwise we have graduated from being world travelers to elders who enjoy puttering around in our small home town. Having each other is the best! I hope we can continue like this for awhile longer, while we still have our health and mobility. Who could ask for more?

:-)

13 comments:

  1. You found the perfect place to retire and sound so happy with your decision to move there! Enjoy those Lilacs...we are still about six weeks from lilacs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds perfect to me too. Enjoy your health and mobility!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your fifteen year journey in your chosen home. It fits you perfectly for your hiking and allotment gardening, not to mention those coffee shop talks 😊
    Wishing you many more years of contentment.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. DJan, congrats on your 15 years in Bellingham! And I think you are right in that as we get older, we seem to stay closer to home and those we love. Experiencing all those new places doesn't seem as compelling - and if we were lucky, we did a little of that when younger... so we have the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very fortunate choice for you. You got more than you bargained for. Continue the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a sweet read, congratulations on your 15 years there DJan. I'm glad I've gotten to know you and have had the opportunity to enjoy your hiking trails, lakes & such. You and SG certainly picked a beautiful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn’t agree more. Enjoying each other and your time together are precious pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge congratulations - on finding a home that suits you both and on finding your life partners as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love lilacs!
    You two have found the perfect area to retire and enjoy life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like a good fit, and I understand about travelling less.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You found the perfect place for you, and I'm so happy that you share this beautiful life with us.
    Our travel days are probably over too. I'm happy to be close to home, but with wonderful memories of past travels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you guys made the best decision. You live in the most beautiful place. You know what? I just realized it's been 15 years since we moved to Hawaii. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.