Thursday, April 27, 2023

Burnout Loop hike

Part of the nine hikers today

With Melanie out of town this week, I decided to join one of the Senior Trailblazers group (Group 2) to hike what is called the Burnout Loop. Nine of us hiked up almost to Fragrance Lake and then went over to the South Lost Lake trail and followed it up to the Burnout area.

First trillium of the year

And I saw my first trillium of the season, surely not to be the last. Gorgeous flowers and a delight to see once again on my favorite trails. The weather was perfect, mild temperatures and overcast skies to start, making it easy hiking.

First shafts of sunlight

As we climbed upwards, then sun began to filter through the trees. This sunlight was the first of the day, but soon all the clouds would lift and we would be in full sun.

Mt. Baker and the Sisters

One of the fun parts of this hike are the wonderful views we get of two major scenic highlights: this first one shows the beautiful mountains that we got to see in almost full view. I'm sure later on these clouds left, but in the meantime we walked farther on the road to the other viewpoint, this one of Samish Bay.

 A little hazy but quite lovely

This is where we decided to have lunch, since it was almost noon, and we were all ready to stop. We had climbed well over eight miles by this time, and everyone was hungry as well. I asked for a picture of the group, and they accommodated me.

All new to me except for two

This great group of hikers are now dear friends, after spending the day with them. Chris (on the left) and Owen (on the right) are the only ones I have hiked with before, but we were all very compatible and went at about the same pace, which delighted me. I was not too slow at all!

Overlooking the bay

We took a different way back to the logging road than I had taken before, which was all downhill and only a bit steep in places. I did just fine and was happy to have such good company. We ended up covering more than eight miles and up and down around 2,100 feet of elevation. I expected to feel much more tired than I feel right now, so I am giving myself a pat on the back (and many thanks to Melanie, who has continued to help me with my conditioning). It was a great day, not one I'll soon forget!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. My gosh, I can't even imagine living in the vicinity of scenery like Mt. Baker; stunning. I also can't imagine an 6 mile hike, good for you DJan--how do you do it! Looked like a good group of folks too, but I hope we see Melanie again soon. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, good for you. I think you surprised and pleased yourself with your ability to keep up. This may give you more options in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the group hike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's nice to get out and test yourself. Better to find out that you're in good condition.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WELL done you. I am so glad that you were able to do it - and able to keep up as well. I doubt I could achieve either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all that fern... And so glad it was a good hike for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The ferns under the trees are wonderful ground cover. Love that trillium too. Well done, Jan. You have every right to be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always nice to see Mt. Baker over there. You had fine company.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, those are big backpacks to lug around for 8 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great hike! You are in such great shape and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! Glad you could handle those miles and that elevation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was an excellent walk. Good to see you walking with the group again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always so amazed at all the physical activity you do. You are in such a great shape. Me...sadly... definitely not as good as you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.