Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Coping continues upwards

Magnolia blossoms

 Yesterday as I was walking to the bus stop, I saw these lovely magnolia blossoms covered with raindrops from the rain we had all night long. I was forced to stop long enough to capture this picture. I love magnolias, and before moving to the Pacific Northwest, I had only known them from my time in southern states. But they grow in many places, in many varieties, from deciduous to evergreen.

I was surprised to learn more about them, from this website, especially finding it interesting in how long they have been around:

Magnolias are believed to be the earliest known flowering plants, with their fossils dating back over 100 million years. Magnolia trees even existed before bees, so they rely on beetles for pollination. Instead of nectar, the flowers produce large quantities of pollen that the beetles use for food.

 There are dozens of these beautiful trees in my neighborhood, and now I have an enhanced appreciation of these long-lived trees. From tulips last week to magnolias this week, it's certainly a very special time in the annual progression of the seasons to enjoy myriad floral beauties. Our lilacs should begin to bloom by the end of the week, too!

I have also noticed that there is a ubiquitous flower appearing in every lawn around here: dandelions are exploding with golden nuggets to catch the eye and gladden the hearts of bees everywhere. (Do bees have hearts? They must.)

:-)


14 comments:

  1. I was surprised at the number of Magnolia we saw out west too. The rabbit keeps gnawing ours to almost death!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea they were that old. They are beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we went to Washington DC one spring we were looking forward to seeing magnolia blooms. However the blooms were late and not out by the time we left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful blooms! Nice to see flowers as we don't have any yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore magnolias and mourn that I cannot grow them. They grow well in my city but the cockatoos have destroyed several that I have planted and I have sadly given up. And of course bees have hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful... open your eyes and be happy.
    Many sunny greetings to you.
    Viola

    ReplyDelete
  7. Having grown up in Louisiana, I love Magnolias... and their aroma. We have one here in our backyard (Texas), but it has never done really well The huge ones in New Orleans are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned something from you today about magnolias!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnolias are pretty, but they don't grow here in Hawaii, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watch for two magnolia trees to bloom in this area. It will be some time though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss seeing all those gorgeous spring flowers. We had several trees in our neighborhood in Illinois. However, the weird thing is I never see dandelions in our area. You'd think they'd take over everything but they must not like continuous summer.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.