Monday, February 21, 2022

Windy, sunny but cold

Big old downed tree

When Melanie and I hiked last Thursday, we had a chance to revisit an area that was completely impassable last time we were there. They have cleared the trail, but so many downed trees are still around, like this one.

I see that much of the nation will be joining us here in the Pacific Northwest in another gasp of winter weather. We are situated just a few miles south of the Canadian Fraser River and what is known as the Fraser Gap,  a cliff that narrows over the river. Cliff Mass, Seattle meteorologist, explains it like this:
The most substantial weakness in the Cascades north of the Columbia River is the Fraser River valley, located just north of Bellingham. When cold, dense air fills the interior basin of British Columbia, a big pressure difference occurs down the Fraser, and as a result cool, dry air pushes along its axis to the southeast.

I found this quote in numerous places, but the fact is that if you live in the area, when the winds pick up out of the northeast, they are usually coming through the Fraser Gap. We are in the midst of an outflow of cold air from Canada, ahead of a big temperature drop to come tomorrow. I suspect that the big tree I show here was felled during a windstorm from that area. That is usually the strongest wind we experience, and I'm quite sure trash cans and small dogs will be airborne in the coming hours. (I hope I am exaggerating about the dogs.)

When I got off the bus this morning, I was facing directly into the harsh northeast wind, and as I bundled up and hurried the mile-and-a-half to home, I got very chilled and wished I had worn even more clothes when I ventured out this morning. And even though the sun is shining fiercely, the temperature is just above freezing and will drop into the low twenties tonight (–6°C) and even colder tomorrow night. Although I will head out again later today, I'll be ready for it, covered head to toe with warm clothes.

:-)

18 comments:

  1. Sorry about all those cold Canadian winds blowing down on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold is hard enough with out high winds. Stay inside and please stay safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People are watching the weather much more these days since we get extremes that are not usual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brrrr! Too bad we can't average out our temperatures. It was a bit too hot for me here in Honolulu today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s seems that even in the northwest, February can be unpredictable and messy. We are scheduled for an ice storm today. 🥸

    ReplyDelete
  6. The northeast wind here is dreaded as well since it blows off the North Atlantic. Oh how I wish winter was over…stay warm, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really hope no small dogs were airborne... (most likely not).
    Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reminds me of when I worked in NYC, walking down Madison Ave., then turning onto 34th St, and you suddenly get hit with a blast of cold wind blowing in from New Jersey and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't like the Canadian cold air either. Just checked and our windchill was -47 this morning. No place to go, we had a furnace glitch but it got straightened out thank goodness. (Ice build up around the air intake and out take...winter happens)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes--dress warmly! It is cold out there. I know it sure is here. We've got wind chills of 50 below I heard. Advisories not to be out if you don't have to be. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its currently 34 with snow flurries here this Tuesday afternoon at 3:45. We have to get used to the cold all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here we have had a damp day with temperatures just under the freezing mark.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi DJan, We had just a dusting of snow this morning. The reports on TV sounded like you might have had a little more up in Bellingham. This is just a curiosity question: I don’t seem to recall you mentioning driving anywhere recently. You are usually going with others or taking the bus. Have you given up driving and, if so, have you found it to be a big economic benefit? I’m thinking no car expenses would be a big benefit but wonder if it’s a welcome trade-off considering not having the convenience for shopping, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds so cold and there is nothing worse than feeling chilled to the bone. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I cannot walk in that kind of cold. You are amazing to be out in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear DJan, I'm so glad for you that you are able to walk a greater distance even though you consider it an easier trail. Your exercise regiment always inspires me to get out there and start doing something. Unfortunately that hasn't happened yet! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yikes! That is very cold! I'm glad you'll be more prepared next time.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.