Thursday, February 24, 2022

Another unexpected hike

Marine Park this morning

Well, Melanie and I had decided to spend our Thursday hike going to one of our favorite places, Fragrance Lake. Instead, we woke to a couple of inches of snow and very slick roads. We drove instead to Marine Park in Fairhaven to start a gentle hike along the Interurban trail. I thought this picture looked like it could have been taken on a summer's day, if you didn't know that the white stuff in the foreground is snow, not sand. 

I've been home for awhile, but it's been hard for me to tear myself away from the news of the day. I didn't get a lot of sleep last night, as I watched the invasion of Ukraine unfold on TV, along with probably most of the rest of the world. It's a terrifying and bewildering moment in history. The period when World War II ended and we entered a relative safe period is over, kaput. Who knows what this means and what is coming? But that's all I want to say about it now. Excuse my digression: back to my wonderful outing with Mel this morning.

We walked from Marine Park up the few blocks to the trailhead and noticed that wherever the sun was shining brightly on the sidewalks, it was easy going, with most of the snow gone, but everywhere that was still in shade was slippery, requiring careful navigation to keep from losing our footing. 

Some pretty scenery

The snow made everything quite magical, however. We saw only a few people on the trail, but almost everyone was out walking their dog, showing what a pet owner has to put up with (being dragged out to witness the wonders of the outdoors, even when it's below freezing and snowy). Nobody seemed to mind, lots of smiles on people's faces, and the dogs looked ecstatic, muzzles covered with snow and smiling, too. Much better idea to be out here rather than indoors.

Green in springtime, not today though

This scene varies greatly with the season. In the spring, the green succulent plants that are now covered with snow make for a truly enchanting spectacle. It's not bad today, though, with the snow creating a lovely geometric landscape. We ended up walking almost five-and-a-half miles, a very nice outing indeed. 

And while I was on Facebook last week, I snagged a picture to share with you, reminding me that a heron rookery is somewhere in this Fairhaven neighborhood. This was taken in Semiamoo by Jesse Sacdalan, and I loved it. Since I didn't have many pictures taken today, I'll end with this gorgeous creature taking wing.

Great blue heron

:-)

13 comments:

  1. I sure like your first photo and it does look like sand. :-) The snow makes for some pretty scenes. The news about war is so concerning. Who knows what Putin is willing to do. Have a good end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of the snow... and the blue heron! As for the Russian invasion, don't want to even go there either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s a fairly picturesque snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a very mixed up kind of day for all of us. So you had the right idea to get outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got to enjoy the walk, weather and all. Isn't it fun to see most dogs in the snow. They radiate happiness--except Callie. She can't get her business done quick enough so she can get back in side on the warm bed. She is missing a dog gene.
    Amazing shot of the Blue Heron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like my feed missed your previous post. At least this one showed up for me. Indeed, the countryside is magical!!!
    These days when it comes to the news I tend to be ostrich-like, and bury my head in the sand!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful setting for sure. Good for the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I suppose you are sending that snow this way! I saw on the weather this morning that you are cooler than normal. Your snow is way prettier than our snow:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you and Melanie got out for a hike even in the slipperier conditions. It is often so beautiful after a snowfall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WE didn't have enough snow here south of Seattle for pretty pictures, but what little we did have lingers in the cold shadows.
    Great Blue Herons are wonderful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous picture of the heron you found! I'm pointedly ignoring the war in Ukraine to preserve my own mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the bird and the wow, a snowy beach. Here in Florida, it has been in the 80s. In February.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gracious! Those are gorgeous snow photos, DJan. It's good to have some beauty to ease our minds for a while.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.