Thursday, February 17, 2022

Lily Lake Loop hike

Trail to Oyster Dome/Lily Lake

 Today, as become our habit, Melanie and I didn't join the other Senior Trailblazers as they made their way to Lost Lake (too long a hike for me at the moment, around ten miles) and instead drove to Blanchard Mountain to attempt a shorter hike. At the last minute, we decided to start from Samish Overlook rather than at our usual starting point at the Upper Trailhead. This would give us a chance to see a bit more variety than usual, as well as shorten it.

Me and downed timber

Mel took this shot of me as we passed by the place where we were unable to get through the last time we were because of a severe windstorm and lots of downed trees. Now it's been cleared off, and we were able to climb the trail until we came to the junction that would take us either to Oyster Dome or to the Lily/Lizard trail. Since by this time there was heavy fog, there would be no view from the Dome, so we sashayed over to Lily Lake.

Foggy scene

This is not a long or difficult hike, but it wasn't nothing, either. We climbed and descended more than 1,000 feet of elevation in almost five miles, and at times the fog was so thick that it fell from the trees like raindrops. And it wasn't warm, either.

Turnoff to Lily Lake

Finally we made it to the trail that would take us to Lily Lake, and we enjoyed our relative isolation, as we only came across a few fellow hikers on the trail. It was a lovely destination spot for our short hike.

Lily Lake through the fog

When we first arrived at the lake, it was completely socked in and we could see very little. But as we had decided to stop for a snack, I was able to catch this scene during a very short window through the fog. Before long it was fogged in again.

Forest denizen

Once we started back, returning along Max's Shortcut, giving us a loop rather than an out-and-back return, we saw this completely moss-covered critter, which looked to us a bit like an alien come down to Earth to visit. If you look closely, you can see his ears, shoulders, and stick-like arms. 

Samish Overlook, our start and finish

And then we got back to Samish Overlook where we started out in complete fog and a sharp wind, to discover that the fog had begun to lift and the wind had quieted, making us very content to have had such a nice time on the trails, enjoying the scenery and fine company. Just the two of us. We climbed into her wonderful car and she turned on the seat warmer for my back, and we congratulated ourselves for having made such a good choice for the day. 

Not to mention that I am feeling great and happy to be working my way towards more challenging hikes, thanks to Melanie!

:-)

18 comments:

  1. There is something about fog that lends a very appealing element to photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy those who take care of the trails had their hands full. That is a lot of down trees they cut and moved. Are you sure that creature wasn't and alien? Could have fooled me.
    Aren't those seat warmers the best? My sister let me enjoy hers once. Wish I had them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiking with just the two of you , you get more input as to where you go. I can tell that you were quite happy with this hike and the choices you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a perfect outing. Beautiful fog, extraordinary greenery, and a good hiking friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sound like you and Mel made a good choice and had an enjoyable hike. So glad you have a friend that you can share these special times with... and wonderful that you have so many choices when it comes to enjoying nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a good hike with some nice foggy pics. You know that you are lucky to be able to do this, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done. The critter in the moss is such an interesting discovery! The fog must have been thick for you to feel it like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is incredible! The fog makes it seem so ethereal and mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lot of choice for your hikes. They all have so much to offer. I liked your starting off point.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those first couple photos are downright majestic, and I really liked that one of Lily Lake. (Gigi took the words right out of my mouth.) It's incredible what you & Melanie are accomplishing with these hikes, DJan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great hike and I love my seat warmers too! Blizzard here today, and we hear that Sadie misses us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am happy for you that you find such joy in your hikes and you are able to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're able to start challenging yourself again. Lily Lake looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's an interesting moss-covered monster!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi DJan, This is my favorite kind of blog post where someone goes out for an adventure … in this case a hike … and snaps some photos along the way to share with us. Thanks. Lily Lake is an interesting place. Now that I’m stopping by DJan-ity more often, I noticed you have enabled the Reply feature for comments. I’d like to take advantage of that for a quick question: Do you always walk with the walking sticks or is that temporary while you are on your way back to more challenging hikes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use them, John. I need the extra stability I get from them, and now I'm really needing them. I don't use them on my Saturday walks around town, but in the woods I really rely on them.

      Delete
  16. You are very fortunate to have such a great friend to hike with. 10 miles is astronomical to me. I always enjoy fog. It's so mysterious.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.