Monday, February 28, 2022

Sunflowers and tears

One of my summer sunnies


I just learned that Ukraine's national flower is the beautiful sunflower, so I went looking through my pictures and found this one. And between getting the latest news from the TV and occasionally bursting into tears, I am also very happy to learn how the international community has come together to protest Putin's invasion of Ukraine. If you want to be inspired (and it also might bring a tear or two to your eyes as well), you can check out this article in The Atlantic.

I tend to take my freedom for granted, because I've always had it. It's only been the last several years that I've wondered if America will make it intact through this scary and unsettled time in the history of the world. Yes, we have been here before; it's the nature of things to change and evolve, and politics and national borders don't hold still. But never before did I think the turmoil might actually reach our shores during my lifetime. Figuring that being old means I would probably be on the other side of the grass before the sh*t hits the fan (what a graphic image that is, eh?), well... I may get a chance to experience what it means not to be able to speak out. In Russia right now, there are plenty of people in that situation, and they are not that different from me.

I would like to give a shout out to the Lion of Kyiv: Volodymyr Zelensky. He not only is leading by example, refusing to leave when his country is under attack, but also showing how a much stronger and better armed foe can be, if not defeated, at least held off. The rest of the world is watching this amazing person stand up to tyranny. It does make me wonder if we have anybody with that kind of grit in our own political theater. Surely we must, surely. There are more courageous leaders today because of the example he has shown to the world.
If we come under attack, if we face an attempt to take away our country, our freedom, our lives and the lives of our children, we will defend ourselves. When you attack us, you will see our faces. Not our backs, but our faces. —Volodymyr Zelensky
:-}

20 comments:

  1. Zelensky is a wonderful example of leadership for the world for sure. We live in sad times. I feel like I am constantly on the verge of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart breaks for the people of Ukraine. Volodymyr Zelensky is a true leader, a hero, in the face of evil and destruction. May God guide these innocent people and return them to their homeland.
    Beautiful sunflower, full of cheer and hope.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pray that we have that kind of leader among our politicians...but so far, I couldn't pick one out of a lineup.

    I am so grateful that the international community is behind Ukraine. At least in this one instance, the majority of us are united.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So grateful for both Ukrainian leadership and the international community's sanctions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe we have the leaders, but do we have the people? Whining about getting vaccinations and wearing masks, attacking our leadership because inflation has caused things to cost more, always blaming, always attacking. do we have the stuff it takes to face some hardship while counting our blessings that we are not personally facing guns? I hope so, because this will touch us economically if not physically. Is democracy worth it? I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It does make one feel good and have hope to see how the world is supporting Ukraine. Zelensky is an amazing man. He is not a politician and until recently was a comic, actor, and dancer but an incredible leader was inside all that unusual packaging. What courage he is displaying. I do hope with his leadership and the support of most of the world, he can defeat that madman Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is a very stressful time we were too young to realize what was going on leading up to WW II

    ReplyDelete
  8. I for one can't help but wonder if our own leaders (and citizens) could be as determined and as strong as those defending their borders in Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good post and good comments. Linda Reeder nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nicely said DJan. And it is inspiring, how (much of) the world is coming together in their stand against Putin. For the last year or so, I've been following a young woman on Youtube 'Russian Minimalist Girl' (who speaks English very well, her husband not at all) and the other night she was in tears over all this, saying that most Russians know the difference between real news and what they're fed by the government. And no one understands why Putin is doing this, but know it's not only fruitless but dangerous to speak out. At the very least, I hope this helps bring that dictator down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post. Kudos to U.S. companies and institutions who have quit doing business with Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is very sad, I doubt that we have anyone here in the good ole U S of A that is as brave as Zelensky and the Ukrainian fighters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would I be brave? Perhaps, if I had the commitment of others around me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is difficult to believe this is happening in 2022. As well as being in awe of Zelensky and the people of Ukraine, I am also full of admiration for those Russians who are demonstrating against Putin on the streets of Russia. Perhaps it will be down to the Russian people to bring about the downfall of Putin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zekensky and Ukrainians are inspiring, but I wish they didn’t have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best wishes from Hawaii. Zelensky is a true hero!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zelensky and his country need all the support they can get.


    Putin is pure evil.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I find it rather interesting that Putin's government is taking control of the country's media and giving fake news to the population while younger people are getting the real news online. Here in this country we have the government trying to give correct information and Trump cultists pushing forth fake news through off the wall right wing outlet on social media.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I watch the news daily and my heart breaks for the brave Ukrainians. Zelenskyy is truly a hero.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.