Monday, February 7, 2022

Passing the time

Snowdrops spied in the debris

 Walking back home today after my bus ride to and from the coffee shop, I saw these little guys hiding on the forest floor. More sure signs that spring is definitely on its way. They weren't there last week, and I'll keep an eye on them as they continue to develop and blossom. 

I met John at the coffee shop, but he had to leave early to drive all the way to Seattle for a routine checkup of his shoulder surgery. His right shoulder isn't healing nearly as fast or as easily as the left one did last year, but it is slowly coming along. Normally, he would drive me to my favorite trailhead and I'd walk the three miles back home. At first I waffled about whether I'd do the entire distance, but it got so nice outside, with the clouds clearing and plenty of sunshine to brighten my mood that I decided to do the whole bit. And as soon as I hit the trail, I saw these pretty snowdrops emerging to improve my mood even more. 

I wrote a blog post yesterday on my other blog (Eye on the Edge) and, although I spent a good deal of time writing it, I never did quite get around to what's on my mind about the passage of time. So, I'll give it another shot here. First of all, I am a fan of routine, trying hard to get much of my daily life smoothed into a nice gentle pattern. I'm not sure if I've always been this way, but certainly in my senior years, it always makes me feel better when I have a rough outline of the day ahead. Since it's Monday, it's time to write this post, and once I've done that and posted it, I can go through the rest of my day feeling like I've accomplished something.

Ever since the pandemic, my usual daily routine has been drastically altered. No more five-day-a-week classes at the Y, and after the omicron variant emerged, I stopped going there altogether. I do two or three Zoom yoga classes a week, from home, and I do get an acupuncture treatment every few weeks in his office, but that's about it. I do grocery shopping, usually during senior hours, but sometimes during regular hours, and I usually regret it if it's crowded. Everyone in our local community food co-op is masked, but that just isn't true at Costco. I went there yesterday, on a Sunday afternoon, and I ran into about a half-dozen people not wearing masks there. Our Costco offers senior hours twice a week, 9:00-10:00, and I will definitely keep my visits to those hours in the future.

About that time thing: I have come to realize that one of the reasons I like routine so much is that it shields me from the awareness of how quickly and relentlessly things change. In fact, change is a constant I cannot control. Even if this Monday looks a lot like last week's, somehow I now need a haircut and every day my Apple Watch exercise rings need to be filled up again. The routine doesn't actually keep time from passing, I just don't notice it as much.

Truly, I do enjoy seeing the flowers spring up from the ground as time passes, and the progression of the seasons usually brings me joy. But since I am stuck in time with no way out (except one I am not looking forward to), it makes sense to me to find ways to appreciate every moment for its own distinction and not try to "pass the time" without acknowledging it. 

:-)

19 comments:

  1. We both know things in life change, and routine is vital. But it keeps us alert and our minds active...otherwise life can get boring. Of course we have spring flowers to look forward to seeing. 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow a routine all the time and find it very comforting. And I don't believe you have Snowdrops growing while we still have a foot of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I never thought I'd hear you say you crave routine, DJan. From my perspective, you lead such an active lifestyle I'd call it anything BUT routine. But I think I get what you're saying here, and it makes good sense to me. I just know that I live with several people your age, who don't live like you do at all. I aspire to be more like you than them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The precious gift of time requires some acknowledgement! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I've aged , I\'e been a creature of routine. I never used to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am very fond of routine myself. Factored around the changes I cannot control it works for me.
    Love your snowdrops too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowdrops are a joyful sight as we come out of winter. The daffodils are now showing signs of life. Time is passing much too quickly for me and I feel the pandemic has taken much away. No longer can anything be spontaneous. Everything must be pre booked. We are trying to live as normal a life as possible here and learning to live with the Covid virus. Vaccinations being key to this new way of living.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of myself as a creature of routine. I usually try to do at least one thing daily that is out of the norm and hopefully fun or at least fulfilling. However, the rest of my day is pretty routine. Then one morning I found out just how routine I was. I over slept by 2 hours and what a messed up day that created. My pets were out of whack as was I for the whole day. You are right, not sure routine is good in that it does allow us to pass time rather numbly, but it sure is comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seeing the snowdrops is great. My DiL in Vancouver sends me a photo in most years. She sent one a week or two ago.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think having a routine is good... as long as one accepts changes in it on occasion. I'm glad your senior shopping is at 10 a.m. - ours (which is no longer in effect) was 6:30 a.m. and believe me, we found that ridiculous, but had to do it when DH needed a RX. And I make a list usually the day before of one or two things that I hope to accomplish the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like routine too, or at least structure. Every day I have something written on my daily, weekly calendar that I want to get done. But now that I am quite limited in what I can do physically I am finding myself feeling useless and somewhat frustrated. I have to give myself permission to operate on a slower, less productive speed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reminds me of the old Shelley quote from high school: If winter comes, can spring be far behind?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It'll be a long while before we see those.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm visiting from Linda's blog. I find the realization that time passes ever more quickly as we age a little scary but since there's nothing I can do about it I just try to live with awareness.
    Love those snowdrops. Living an hour to the South of you (and Linda) I marvel at what a difference it makes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You write so intelligently. You are a creature of habit, but you do know how to adapt to change, which is good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi DJan, As you will know, I rarely miss an edition of Eye on the Edge. Recently, I've also stopped by DJanity more often. I'm especially glad I did today to see the end of the story on passage of time. I enjoyed your thoughts about being a fan of routine. I am the same. That brings a question to mind ... After 2 years I now find it routine to put a mask on whenever I'm out in a public place, like the grocery store, or for you, Costco. Do you think we will ever be comfortable giving up this particular routine? John PS How are you doing with Wordle. Today's word took me all 6 tries but I did get it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got today's word with a clue in the third try so it wasn't easy but I got it too. I've only missed once, early on, and I really love it! :-)

      Delete
  17. Appreciate every day! I appreciate you as a blogging friend! Thanks for a bit of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Spring, DJan! I find time keeps flying by even faster now because I'm not paying attention to it since we don't have our usual schedule of meeting with friends or me going to Zumba, our tai chi class, etc. Everyone is masked at our markets, Sams Club, Costco and CVS. However, I've noticed that it's not the same at the commissary where we have a lot of military people who are not local shopping there.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.