Thursday, February 3, 2022

Soggy Hertz Trail

Dark and drizzly Lake Whatcom

I wasn't exactly looking forward to our hike today, since it was supposed to be rather wet. And it lived up to expectations, but it could have been worse and even wetter, so I'm thanking my lucky stars that Melanie and I made the right decision to hike together on something that could be stopped whenever we felt like it. The other Trailblazers went elsewhere and I guess they might have had a better day, even if it was just as wet.

Our wide and wet trail

One of the nice things about the Hertz Trail is that it is flat and with just the two of us, I could decide how far I might want to take the trail, with my back much better but not fully functional. I didn't feel any discomfort when we started out, so I was hopeful that I could make it to the end and back, around six miles, and consider myself healed. 

Licorice fern-covered log

There wasn't much to photograph, but I was taken by this log, which looks a little like a green caterpillar climbing up the slope. These particular ferns love to find their homes in decaying forest debris, helping to return everything to the elements.

Bench overlooking the water

I noticed that this bench, at about the 2.5-mile mark, was dripping and not looking very comfortable for sitting on today. We were pretty much by ourselves for the first part of this hike, since most forest visitors must have felt like maybe it would lighten up if they just hunkered down for awhile. It was pretty warm for a change (around 6°C) but the light misty rain just didn't stop at all during our time outdoors.

Tiny signs of a sun up there somewhere

This point on our walk is the only time that we actually cast a shadow, even if it wasn't very much of one, I did momentarily hope that the weather might change. But it didn't; we kept our raincoats on the entire time.

Moss-covered logs

The other Pacific Northwest helper that returns the forest floor back to nature is the ubiquitous moss, which is pretty much everywhere around here. It gave some color to an otherwise dreary day. As we made our way back the way we had come, I realized that I had managed to walk about 5.5 miles today, which is the most I've done since being injured. The last mile wasn't very much fun, as my back had begun to hurt again and the muscles seized up to keep me company on the way back. Fortunately, once we got to Mel's car, I was able to sit in the heated passenger seat and soak up all the warmth to relax it all once again. 

By the time we got home, I was happy that I'd accomplished it, and that I had the company of a dear friend who didn't mind my complaining during that last bit. I am so much better today than I was a week ago, so I have stopped feeling grumpy and am giving thanks for having had a real "forest bath" today!

:-)

18 comments:

  1. Yay for the improvement in your back. You dedication by walking in the rain has always impressed me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A forest bath...indeed quite soothing. It's good to know you made the round trip with little pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you can enjoy a walk again, at least for most of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that your back feels better. I hope there is continued progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am joining others in being so glad that you had a forest bath. Take it gently dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. “Forest bath.” Very good metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, you make a "forest bath" sound irresistible. So glad your back behaved for so much of the trip. You are getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. DJan, glad your back hung in there but I don't think you gave it a choice. 😉. Liked that ferny caterpillar, you always find interesting things to share. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love how the ferns and moss do their part.
    Be kind to yourself on those forest baths--LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, you are fearless. Some exercise is better than none!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being outside with nature around you always lifts one's spirits... apparently even in misting rain and an aching back. Glad you accomplished it, but hope your back doesn't complain later.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you. And thank you for your photos. I grew up in N Seattle and hiked around there. In E WA now and I miss the fern covered logs and moss. Hope your recovery keeps progressing well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Pretty warm" at 6°? Brrrr! You are such a trooper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you for getting yourself healed up enough to go for a good walk. I am finally getting back to where I was two weeks ago before I messed myself up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! I know how much the hikes mean to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your winters are filled with such fuzzy green moss and lichens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such an interesting winter out there. Glad you are flourishing!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.