Thursday, February 1, 2024

Two Dollar Trail to Burnout Point

John and Cindy, half of our group today

Many of our usual Thursday hikers were either otherwise occupied, or joined the other group, so there were only four of us today, hiking from the Two Dollar Trail to Burnout Point and back. I'm sitting here all scrubbed clean from the day's efforts, and enjoying a well-earned glass of wine. 

Waterfall on the $2

Most of the time when I see this waterfall, it's scarcely flowing, but not today, with help from our atmospheric rivers which has given is plenty of precipitation lately. I was also taken with that tree, hanging out on that rock, looking precarious. I'll keep an eye on it next time I'm in the area.

Fragrance Lake

Then we reached Fragrance Lake, on our way past it to travel on a trail that took us up to Burnout Point. We followed this to our destination.

South Lost Lake trail

We didn't actually go to Lost Lake, instead taking a side trail that would take us to Burnout. I really don't know the origin of the name, but I suspect it had something to do with a fire. We sure do get a great view of the Salish Sea and the San Juan islands from here.

View from top of Burnout

We were tired and getting ready for a bit of lunch, but we went a little farther to another lookout, where the clouds kept us from much view at all. So, instead, I asked for a selfie!

John, me, Cindy, Barb (our leader)

As you can see, the weather was pretty good, even if clouds obscured some of the view. The wind came in not long after this was taken, so some of us donned more clothes while we enjoyed our lunch.

Olga looking around at the view

I pulled Olga out from my backpack so she could take a look around. Her friend and mentor Helen (who gifted Olga to me) is in Hawaii, so here's a quick hello for her from our beautiful Pacific Northwest mountains.

Cindy on the trail

We were on our way back to the Two Dollar trail when I captured this picture of Cindy. The entire trip took us more than four hours, and we covered almost nine miles and close to 2,000 feet elevation and loss before we got back to the cars. It was another beautiful day with moderate temperatures and surprisingly little rain. And I am feeling happy and glad to be alive, living here during this winter season.

:-)

10 comments:

  1. Great conclusion: “…I am feeling happy and glad to be alive, living here during this winter season.” Another enjoyable DJan-ity. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. No rain?? Wow. It poured here in the Central San Joaquin Valley. The first of three atmospheric rivers coming our way. Temperatures dropped about 10 degrees this afternoon when another wave of rain washed in. Brrr.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) You go hiking on Thursdays and I go to tai chi. We didn't go today because it looked like rain. You were much more intrepid that me. I'm so glad you had such a great time and I hope Helen is enjoying Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With decent weather you can get a lot of hiking done. Good for you for challenging the long hard trails.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That trail along the rock wall is so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scene from atop Burnout is worth the hike. Such beautiful trails, Jan! Good for the mind, body and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the view of the lake. You seem to have an abundance of lakes in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi DJanity! This is a test to see if I can comment on my phone.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.