Thursday, February 29, 2024

Unexpectedly nice

Today's group of six (I took the picture)

The Relaxed Group of Senior Trailblazers were scheduled to drive to Anacortes to have a nice walk along the water, but since the forecast was for more rain, we decided instead to keep it close to home. Our leader, Owen (second from left), suggested that we go to Lake Padden and tackle the back trails, so that's what we did. I have to say that, although it was rather cold, the rain never materialized. We had more than an inch overnight, however, and it was muddy and even a little slippery. Fortunately for me, I didn't fall face first into the mud so for me it was a good day.

Indian plum beginning to bloom!

Today is Leap Day, that day which only comes around once every four years. That means tomorrow is the first day of March (rather than today), and I suppose I shouldn't be surprised to see that the buds are coming out on bushes, and that even some early trees are in bloom. A week from Sunday we will change back to Dayight Saving Time, until such time in the future when we will dispense with this silly tradition. Not this year, unfortunately, but time will instead be bringing us plenty of smiles as we watch the arrival of spring.

Can you find the heron?

We walked up the gorge, and the first thing we saw was a heron in a tree. If you follow that diagonal branch from the lower left upwards, you'll see our friend. The gorge leads to a particular spot, which is the place where people over the years have left little offerings of shells, mementos for those who have left us, and various trinkets for others to enjoy. I saw this old typewriter and various additions, which reminded me of when I first learned to type. It was on a similar contraption.

Wonder if it still works

The typewriter is well protected by a tiger and a magic rock, so I wouldn't worry about it. But it sure did bring back memories. When you learned on one of these things, your fingers had to get strong enough to strike the keys with symmetry, or you'd leave the little fingers unable to add their letters to words properly. Once I gradulated to an electric typewriter, my fingers no longer needed strength and it took no time at all for me to "forget" how to type on one of these things.

Lake Padden

We then walked back to the trail around the lake, and the heron was still there in the tree, I suppose still waiting for breakfast to show up. We walked the long way around, and although we only went four miles in total, it was a very good day. By the time we got to the lake, we even  had little peeks of sunshine brightening our day. We decided to call it a day, and Owen invited us to his home for some coffee before we returned to the Senior Center. 

The sun didn't stick around for long, and we are supposed to get more rain, but it sure was nice for it to give us such a wonderful outing, so we are all happy and content.

:-)

9 comments:

  1. I was happy with my short walk in the park too. That cold, fresh breeze felt so good on my face.
    Herons in trees are not so common.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I nice quiet walk when you can see things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded both hearty and tranquil, and I love the old typewriter you found with it's hippie trappings! What a magical location... 🙂❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. The typewriter thing was pretty whimsical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No ice on the lake or on the ground is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It amazes me how you always find places to walk... no matter the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learned on an old black Underwood upright we got at a moving sale. It was a beast. I used it for years. When I tried to use an electric in typing class senior year...well, it was impossible! I was used to pounding on the keys--so I'd get 3-7 of each letter--lol! Like--"the" became tttthhheeeee. I had to use a manual for the typing class. Luckily it was a new thing back in 1968 so we had both kinds of typewriters in our typing class. Even when I got a portable typewriter years later I bought a manual. I still pound way too heavily on the keyboard Dagan and Leah tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful sounding walk, and you have such beautiful places to walk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so happy for you that you had such a lovely walk and even got to see a heron in a tree. The bird is so huge!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.