Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Alger Alp 2024

Kris in front, one of 18

 Yes, I went out with the delightful Happy Wanderers Senior Trailblazers this morning. I was joined by seventeen other hikers for this excursion, led by Terry who took over for Barb who couldn't make it. We carpooled from the Senior Center to the Squires Lake parking lot and started our uphill journey to Alger Alp. The entire six miles we hiked were without rain, for a change, and it was also extremely mild, with the temperature in the mid-fifties (57°F). A very enjoyable outing.

View across the valley at the top

We got to the top and spent some time enjoying the view and having a snack before heading down and visiting Squires Lake. I climbed the little rise just behind this view, to check out some violets I've seen many times growing up there. But either they didn't survive the cold, or it's just not the right time; violets are hardy enough that maybe next time I'm there I'll see them.

Hikers before we started back

I did capture this scene as I made my way back down the rise, and we went back and took another trail so that we could circumvent the lake before it was all said and done.

Far side of the lake

Squires Lake was calm and serene today. There have been times when it's been frozen solid, or times when the sun was shining brightly, but today it was just a mellow and quiet monotone.

Squires Lake again

We did have a very wonderful hike, with good company and lots of smiles as we navigated our way back to the parking lot. It was just a little after noon, so we didn't stop for more food but headed back to the Senior Center. I think everyone enjoyed their outing, and I'm always grateful to those who are willing to drive. Without their help, I would not be able to join them. All I need to do is give them a small donation, so thanks again!

:-)

11 comments:

  1. Love that last lake photo, DJan--wow, 18 is a pretty hearty group and all seniors too! I wish my center had healthier excursions like this. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a BIG group and I am so glad that you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mild weather there in winter always amazes me. Another great hike! Well done, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your experience. It's inspiring to hear about your adventures and the joy you find in nature and companionship. Keep on exploring and enjoying these beautiful moments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can tell that you're full of energy after that hike. Great weather also invigorates us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and Doug Morris have the most wonderful senior centers. I envy you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a large group. Perfect weather for a beautiful walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to get your hiking miles in this week!
    Taking advantage of our balmy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Big group and a great day for it. The lake looks so tranquil. What a wonderful group you joined! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The views you got last week were really gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.