Thursday, January 25, 2024

Blanchard Mountain loop hike

Most of today's Senior Trailblazers

I was able to capture most of our hikers today. Our leader, Owen, was busy organizing his pack as I took this shot. We set out from the Upper trailhead parking lot on Blanchard Mountain, and walked the mile along the logging road to get to the starting point for today's hike. Once we got here, it's pretty steeply uphill until we get to the place where we can branch off to other places.

Persis checking out the sign

We knew we wouldn't be coming back this way, and many of us had not started this loop hike here before. From here, we went to the Lily Lake connector trail, which would take us to the trail to North Butte (which we decided to skip anyway, as it was not exactly going to be viewable). The heavy clouds and occasional sprinkle confirmed the wisdom of this choice.

Linda, Owen, John

The forest was beautiful, as it always is, and we were fortunate not to get drenched, since that was a possibility in the weather forecast. Everyone was happily enjoying the hike and we decided to skip a visit to Lizard Lake, too, and so we headed directly to Lily Lake.

The group

Don took the picture, and John was nowhere to be seen right then, but this is the rest of the hardy seniors. It was only around 11:00 or so when we got to this spot, but everyone was willing to have a quick lunch. It had grown colder as we gained in altitude, and by the time we stopped hiking, it was no time at all before everyone was cold.

Ice slush on the lake

I forgot my overmitts, so my hands got pretty cold before we got going again, and I was also nursing a sore arm from having slipped and fallen on a wet log. Between the group members, my arm was treated with an antibiotic ointment and a couple of perfect-sized bandages finished up the job. Although it's sore, it's not my first injury hiking, and hopefully won't be my last. It was worth a scrape to have been there today.

Cindy looking beautiful among the ferns

We returned along the trail that would take us to the Upper Trailhead parking lot, where we left our cars. And on the way, we saw that the waterfall crossing the bridge is now quite full.

Roaring waterfall

Last time I was here, there was only a trickle. But some of this must be snowmelt, and the rest is from the days of rain we have been experiencing. Before it was all said and done, we had covered about 6.5 miles and gained and lost around 1,300 feet of elevation. Not too shabby, and now that I am home and feeling pretty good, maybe it's time to take away the last of the pain from my skinned arm with a bit of wine, eh?

:-)

11 comments:


  1. Another beautiful hike for your intrepid group.
    I managed 1.10 miles in the neighborhood this damp afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your group is prepared for accidents and you could be cared for quickly. What a beautiful hike. Thursdays are our tai chi days which is a lot less strenuous than your hikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty ferns even in the Winter! Hope your arm isn't hurt too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You challenged the elements today. I hope the arm is not badly injured.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear you fell and got scraped up. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself nonetheless. An intrepid hiker, for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry for your injury DJan, but as always, your nature photos are serene, and your statistics are impressive. How do you cover so many miles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not too shabby at all. Definitely time for wine o'clock and I hope your poor arm is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two things stick out to me.

    1. Somebody hikes in a skirt?

    2. Somebody carries antibiotics and administers them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to say "antibiotic ointment" and not just antibiotics. Sorry! I changed the wording.

      Delete
  9. I’m with AC. The skirt stands out and the antibiotics! I feel I know that trail to Lily Lake! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would hike in shorts here in Hawaii. Or a muumuu.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.