Thursday, November 2, 2023

Sucia Island excursion

Leaving Bellingham Bay behind

Yesterday, 12 Senior Trailblazers went on an excursion on a cool boat from Bellingham Bay (Don looking out pensively) as we went out to Sucia Island, one of the San Juan Islands that I've never visited before. It was an all-day outing, with the two great owners of the Island Opportunity Charters, a water taxi service that took us there and back, treating us to an adventure I didn't even know existed.

The boat dock at Sucia

We were the only people on the island, which in summertime is usually overrun with others enjoying this lovely place, and it was wonderful. The weather was perfect, meaning of course no rain, mild temperatures, and a day to hike and explore the island.

Our lunch spot at Johnson Point

We first checked out Fox Point and then trekked a couple of miles to Johnson Point, where we had a lovely lunch, with a view of Mt Baker and plenty of open spaces just to ooh and ahh for around a half hour. We had walked around two or three miles by this point, and we were quite ready just to kick back and enjoy our surroundings.

Madrone tree along the trail

There were so many beautiful madrone trees on the island, some of the biggest and most healthy I've seen anywhere. There are so many bays and places to see on this island that we did have to pick and choose. After packing back up after lunch, we headed to the China caves. 

Cindy looking into one of the caves
The isolated coves and bays of Sucia Island once served the Lummi Indians in their seal hunting days. They later provided excellent hideouts in the 19th century for smugglers of illegal Chinese laborers, as well as for hiding illegally imported wool and opium.

 Wikipedia has a full page on the history of the island (which the above quote was taken from), and we sure did have a lot of fun looking into, and speculating on, the caves at one of the bays. We called the boat owners and the came and picked us up at this point, since they have a boat that allows for us to get onto the boat without a dock.

Getting picked up in style

From here we went around the part of the island that has an old lighthouse, one that gave us a perfect place to capture the entire group before making it back to Bellingham Bay. We had hiked somewhere around five or six miles and were getting pretty tired. Being on the water does that to me.

End of a great adventure

The owners took this great picture of the group, all twelve of us, in front of the lighthouse and, if you use your imagination, you can also see Mt Baker behind us. It was a wonderful day, an adventure I won't soon forget. Thanks to Barb for organizing it, and thanks to the boat pilots for taking us out and back in safety!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. Good for you to get out and enjoy a day tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun adventure, DJan! Something different... and I love lighthouses and exploring an almost deserted island sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, now this is some adventure! An awesome island and I'd love to see some more of the China caves. I need to look that up :^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a magical day - and I can't think of anyone who deserves and would appreciate it more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting journey! I was curious about Johnson Point. Couldn’t find much about it, except this … There is a fossil of 50 million year old driftwood log there. Would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful excursion! There is so much to see and do in your area, Jan. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A new adventure!! That Madrone tree is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always impressed at all the fun outings you have with likeminded healthy, robust people like you, DJan. I admire all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a treat to have the whole island to yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything sounded perfect! Glad you found a great group of nice people to go on adventures together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful - happy one that you are - what a lovely tour.
    It reminds me of Ireland, where I took the boat to the island of Skellig Michael.
    Thanks for your photos... the little smugglers' caves are really interesting and stimulate the imagination.
    I wish you a happy week. Viola

    ReplyDelete
  12. I missed this post last Thursday, so I am glad I got to see it on Tuesday. Excellent adventure! Such a nice time you had exploring the island and sailing the waters.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just checking in … I don’t see a Tuesday, Nov 7, DJan-ity … and you are one of the most reliable posters I know. I hope all is well and take care DJan! John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wondering if she has come down sick 😷 with something! I hope she lets us know she is OK.

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.