Tuesday, November 21, 2023

First holiday week of the season

Lily yesterday, looking pretty

Yesterday, Lily took me out for lunch after we had a nice walk in Fairhaven. She reminded me that we have now known each other for eleven years! It surprises me in one way, but in another it seems like she's been part of my life even longer than that. She has the entire week off from her job, after having worked seven days in a row, and now she's trying to connect with friends she hasn't seen recently. That means me, for one. We went bowling a month ago, and that was the last I heard from her until she called yesterday to suggest a walk and lunch.

Although there was a hike scheduled for today, I didn't attend so that I could have a one-on-one meeting with a woman at the Senior Center who knows everything about Covid tests. She had me bring in the three I've had around here for awhile, and she took an expired one out and showed me how you use the test to determine if you're infected. We are getting geared up for a winter of possible season of colds, flu, and Covid. I still wear a mask whenever I'm on the bus or in a crowded room, but I've grown lax after such a long time without even a cold. I think wearing a mask has kept me from getting sick, but I know it's just a matter of time. I've received the latest Covid booster, the annual flu shot, and finished my Shingrix double doses awhile back. I vacillate about getting the RSV vaccine, since there's a shortage at present, so I will allow myself to wait. My doctor thinks they are a good idea for old people like me.

Remember when I put a picture up about this huge pumpkin and said I'd let you know when I found out how much it ended up weighing? Well, I forgot and then it was gone from the display, and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find out, but I did. It weighed 474 lbs. (215 kilos), or more than two of my friend John. Bet it was used to make some of those pumpkin pies I see at the store now, or at least I hope so. We are skipping the pies this year, but I suspect I'll be able to convince my honey to indulge in something wonderful to finish off our Thanksgiving feast. I haven't decided yet what that might be.

Our usual scene at the coffee shop

I always pull out my iPad (soon I'll have a new one, my birthday present to myself) and John's is almost identical to mine. Our glasses are on the side, since he uses them for close work and I take mine off for close work. You can see how low the angle of the sun is at this time of the year, and for the next month it will continue to come up later and set earlier, until we barely have nine hours of light for the entire day. The dreary times lie ahead, but I guess that's why we have all these holidays; it makes the long nights feel less oppressive. And then of course the sun will begin its long journey back the other way, until spring rears its lovely head. I will enjoy what's left of the fall season.

:-)

12 comments:

  1. I really haven't given much thought to the cold and flu and Covid season. We are fully vaccinated and we're not out in public that much. Except of course, all of those trips to dentists and medical providers. The saga continues.
    We're in preparation mode for hosting Thanksgiving dinner for a small family group. I'm grateful that I can still do it ... I hope.
    Yes, enjoy the rest of Fall. Embrace our seasonal changes. That's life in the PNW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a sweet looking friend named Lily to take long walks with in a place called Fairhaven, it sounds like the opening of a Hallmark holiday movie! Glad to hear you're all caught up with your shots, spring will be here before we know it.🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell about three awesome people in your life. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you had a visit with Lily!
    Sounds like you are ready for winter with all your shots...and a new iPad for your birthday coming. :)
    You must be a little bit farther north than we are here in Fargo. We still have almost ten hours of daylight here. Of course I do round up optimistically. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to meet up with Lily again. Have a wonderful (and delicious) Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Lily, Pumpkin Pie, and a new iPad. It all sounds good to me. Happy Thanksgiving to you and SG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, you are fully vaxed and boosted, something I cannot do because of adverse side effects. Good luck during the flu and cold season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving DJan! Hope you and SG have a wonderful day (and hope you splurge with a little pie too!). We are also all vaxed and still wear masks in crowds... (and I too think it has kept colds and flu away in the last 3 years). Also I think a few of us guessed the weight on that pumpkin, but I don't remember anyone's guesses...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Thanksgiving, Jan. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had a lovely time with Lily. It's always wonderful to connect with friends. I got the new iPad earlier this year and my daughter got me the pencil. To be honest, I really haven't used the pencil much. I should learn. But I am liking the iPad. :-)
    I hope you got something wonderful for dessert. Art always makes the pumpkin pie and he'll do it this year too.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.