Thursday, November 9, 2023

Madrone Crest

Today's Group 2 hikers (I took the picture)

It was simply a beautiful fall day as twelve hikers spent the morning and early afternoon hiking across amazing yellow leaves, as we went from the North Chuckanut trailhead to Madrone Crest, following an interesting route: up the Hemlock trail to the Huckleberry trail, then across to the Salal trail and hiking it to the turnoff to Madrone Crest. 

Golden leaves

Almost all the big leaf maple leaves have fallen, creating gorgeous carpets of bright yellow under our feet; there are a few trees that still retain their leaves, but they have all turned brilliant gold. We had a few moments of bright light coming through the trees, but mostly it was overcast, however mild and dry we might be.

Flower-like mushrooms were everywhere

As usual, we saw lots of interesting mushrooms, a sure sign of our newly wet environment. Rain was expected by the afternoon, and sure enough as I sit here I can see that it has arrived. But we were spared any at all, nary a drop fell on us.

Madrone Crest, our lunch spot

We stopped at the place where we would have had a view, if the trees had not grown up over the years to obscure any sign of the valley below us. A sign at the last junction before the Crest had indicated there would be a view, but some disgruntled hiker had scratched that out. I've seen the view in past years, but it is definitely completely hidden today.

A mushroom beginning to change shape

It was a really nice hike, I must say. We returned back a different route, taking the Madrone Crest trail to the Salal trail, then taking the Lower Salal from there. We also hiked on the Lost Lake trail, and back to the Hemlock where we started. It was somewhere around 8+ miles, and around 1,700 feet up and down. Very enjoyable, not too long, not too short. And no precipitation!

For those of you wondering what happened to me on Tuesday when I didn't write a post, I have no excuse, other than I simply... forgot. I got so involved watching the election returns and then finishing my wine before heading to bed that it slipped my mind. It wasn't until the middle of the night that I remembered. Now that I am officially old, I blame my diminished faculties for my omission. It might happen again, so be forewarned!

I'm just glad I can still hike long distances and feel good afterwards. Now that I've written this post, along with my Tuesday mea culpa, I can relax and enjoy the rest of the day, watching the rain and wind from inside a warm and cozy home.

:-)

13 comments:

  1. At this time of year there are some super days for hiking. At this time of year we can run into lots of snow in the high country and that ends the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get the more frequently I forget things--lol! You guys were really lucky with the rain again...or lack thereof. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned 80 in August and now, I tell folks I am "officially old!" LOL Not sure what I am LOLing about ... 🤦
    Glad to know you are OK and just had a brain fart! We all have those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the leaf carpet.
    I spent two hours this morning and another this afternoon trying to beat the rain and get more yard cleaning up done. Tom was out there working too, of course. He works several hours or more every day, weather permitting.
    Now I have collected the mail and Tom has finished his task, the rain has started, the darkness is arriving, and we are in our recliners, resting. It was a good day for us too.
    You might wonder how I work in the garden when I have so much trouble walking. Well, I work on the ground. You can't fall down when you are already down. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for reassuring us. You have become very dear to many of us. That looks like a truly delightful hike - but would definitely (to my shame) fall into the too hard and too far basket. Your achievements humble me each and every week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Makes for a lovely Fall carpet! You had another great hike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aside from your Sunday posts, I never realized your writing schedule. I just read them when they appear. 😎

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice but arduous hike. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always love the names of the trails you travel. Madrone is a beautiful name and Chuckanut is a favourite. You always have fun adventures,

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had an enjoyable hike... with no rain and a beautiful leaf carpet. As for you forgetting to post Tuesday, I'm only aware of your weekly Sunday post and then read the others as they pop up on my reader's list. Always happy to see a post from you whenever...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not been able to comment a lot during the pandemic because of the extensive photo projects I was doing. Things are finally settling down for me. As for memory. Puh-leeease... I'm far worse than everyone else. I'm always amazed at all you do. I haven't gone on any true hike in years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love what you wrote about last Tuesday. 😊 I do have one question, maybe you will answer one of these days: At what point will I be “officially old”? 😊 Thanks for taking us along on the hike. I enjoyed the narrative and the photos! John

    ReplyDelete
  13. When we get old, we are allowed and expected to forget things. Your passion for hiking is amazing and keeps you young.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.