Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Galbraith Mountain

The view of the bay from Galbraith Mountain

Today, eighteen Happy Wanderers were directed to this viewpoint by our leader, Terry. She gathered the group together at the tennis court parking lot before taking us up (yes, it's definitely up) to this viewpoint. We managed to eke out over five miles round trip before we got back to our cars.

It was very cold as we started our hike at 8:30am, well below freezing, but mostly full sunshine promised that it would warm up considerably. It did, and we started by climbing up pretty steeply, which was welcomed by all of us who were cold, until finally we had been moving long enough that most of us were finally able to shed some of our heavy clothing. I was able to take off my warm hat and gloves and stash them away, but I kept my jacket on until later.

Sandy's selfie plus thumb

I took a picture, too, but somehow I managed to cut two people off the side, so this one is by far the best hot, even with Sandy's thumb taking out the lower right. It was a good group, and we talked and hiked and enjoyed the environment. I've been up Galbraith Mountain many times, but it's been years. Much of it is the same, but it was up for sale a few years ago and I wasn't sure we would ever return. It's a wonderful place to visit, and mountain bikers love the trails.
In July of 2018, the City of Bellingham, Whatcom Land Trust, and Galbraith Tree Farm LLC entered into an recreation easement that secured the public’s recreational use on Galbraith Mountain and protected​ the area from development. The easement covers 2,182 acres and adjoins 4,250 acres of public land managed by Whatcom County. (City of Bellingham)

 We saw plenty of mountain bikers on the trail, but mostly it was just our big group and the occasional cluster of three or four bikers. We were all courteous to one another, and the only surprise was (to me) wondering what these young people must do for a living, to be out and about on a frosty Tuesday morning. I'm glad they are able to get their exercise and thrills and chills on the trails, though. Everyone was having fun.

A quick snack break

We stopped for a quick bite to eat at around 11:00am, and then afterwards we made our way back down the hill to our cars. It was probably over 1,200 feet of elevation gain and loss in 5.5 miles, and I was happy to finally get off my feet and snuggle into Terry' warm car at the end. It was a very good hike, a good day, and great company!

:-)

13 comments:

  1. I can imagine how people look forward to these hikes. It seems that these groups have great times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought there was a limit as to how many of you could hike together? Looks like a great time, for sure! Even though a chilly start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks beautiful - and I am glad (and unsurprised) that everyone had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a very sturdy group! The top photo is just stunning. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a lot of fun. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kudos to you, DJan for hiking in the cold. You are made of sterner stuff. When it's cold... (anything below 50 F) I tend to huddle by the fireplace. But looks like everyone was enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a really neat hike and thanks for sharing the pictures. I do admire your hikes with groups like the Happy Wanderers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a big group.
    If you can stay warm enough, cold hiking is better than when it's hot, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brrrr! You have great discipline and determination to get up and go. I need some of that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that it is a social event as well as a healthy one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Younger people have various schedules and work days especially if they work from home...at least that is what I have been told:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow! Somebody would actually buy the mountain? That's amazing! I'm glad you can still have it as a recreation area.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.