Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Mostly mushrooms

Today's Happy Wanderers

Eleven Senior Trailblazers gathered to begin a medium-sized hike at the Lookout Mountain trailhead. I took the picture so I'm behind the camera, but our fearless leader, Joe (second from right in blue jacket), took us on a trip up the Rufus Creek trail for a hike of around five miles. We were wanting to make it back to the start before the forecasted rain hit. 

We had about a 1,000-foot elevation gain and loss, but the hike felt to be just about the right distance for us on a drizzly day with heavy rain a-comin' round the mountain. Around nine, we set out on the trail, feeling good about being together and being ready for almost anything. It was surprisingly dry when it started, and we even saw a few brief rays of sunshine. 

Yes, they are purple mushrooms

We saw an abundance of mushrooms of every size and shape. They have just recently sprung up out of the damp environment, and they caused much oohing and aahing as we admired them and took pictures.

Signage along the way

People who are familiar with Lookout Mountain could, I am sure, pinpoint our exact location from this sign, but it was all new to me, and I appreciated the signage to figure out where we were and how far we still had to go.

Now that's a lot of shrooms

This mushroom "village" was the most spectacular gathering of mushrooms I've seen in awhile. They resemble a condo of elegant domiciles, to my eye at least. I can just imagine little fairies snuggled inside, staying warm and visiting with their neighbors, maybe calling each other on their teeny tiny phones. And I would bet that this village wasn't even there last week, and won't be there next week. So ephemeral and lovely.

Forest sentinels

A hiker pointed out these straight trees, magical and delightful to see, and I felt happy to see them where they belong, standing where they have been growing for decades. I wish I knew more about trees, but I can contemplate their beauty and enjoy them in the moment.

What a pretty color

Just before we finished the hike, I captured this beauty, and sitting among its surroundings, I felt happy to be able to be a part of the scene myself. I also noticed that it was still not raining, but the feeling in the air was that it might be imminent. Just before we reached the cars, it began to sprinkle. Then rain for real, and we drove back to the Senior Center happy and content, with another great hike behind us as the windshield wipers swished back and forth. 

:-)

14 comments:

  1. Bev at Bee Haven Acres is pretty much an expert on mushrooms and on their acreage, she has more mushrooms then I have ever seen!
    I think there is an app that can identify the fungi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had perfect timing!
    I like the orange mushroom and the little village--lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been walking between the raindrops here and rained on occasionally. Several clear days ahead! Mushroom season is always interesting. Great time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fall is a great time for fungus growth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice, DJan. As for mushrooms, I like to eat them stuffed with crab meat and breadcrumbs. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did anybody pick mushrooms to eat? I wouldn't but I know people who do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks and sounds wonderful - and your timing was close to perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rains you have bring on those mushrooms! Nice hike!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful adventure with the Senior Trailblazers! Your description paints a vivid picture of camaraderie, determination, and a touch of adventure as you set out on the Lookout Mountain trail. Joe, as the fearless leader, must have been instrumental in making this hike memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never seen anything like that collection of mushrooms. Glad you just about escaped the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I find mushrooms to be fascinating. You found beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous area and quite the crop of mushrooms. I love them but don't know enough about them to pick and eat. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.