Thursday, October 19, 2023

Drizzly Thursday

One big pumpkin

I went back and forth trying to decide whether or not to join the Senior Trailblazers today, since they decided at the last minute to head back into the High Country and try to wrest one more trip before staying down at sea level for the duration. It was when I realized that the weather had deteriorated and that it would be rainy, or at least not wonderful up there, and with a car shuttle in the plans, I decided to stay home. On the way into the Food Coop this morning for a breakfast sandwich, I saw this huge pumpkin (they do this almost every year) and are offering a gift certificate to whomever gets closest to guessing its actual weight. (I'm thinking maybe 650 pounds? Or more. Or less.)

Instead of joining my friends on the hike, I went over to the Senior Center to attend the Zumba Gold class. As usual, I could only make the first forty minutes of the hour-long class before I left, out of breath and tired. Then I walked home the long way, giving myself all the steps needed to close my fitness rings. The day was living up to the forecast, with a light drizzle accompanying me all morning. I had neglected to wear a raincoat, because I was hoping that the light rain would finally relent. Nope.

Gold and rainbows

We have recently had the kind of weather that causes such gorgeous scenes as this one, which was captured by one of my favorite artists. She posts frequently in the Seeing Bellingham Facebook group, Emily Polis Gibson. She also has a website, linked here, with wonderful scenes and stories that she shares. I wanted to find something that shows the incredible beauty of our region, and this picture did just that. Yesterday between rain showers, I saw a scene similar to this one, but before I could capture it, the light had changed and it was gone. So, thank you Emily, for this golden gem.

I also had a wonderful acupuncture treatment yesterday, which always helps to bring me back into a place of equanimity. That, and limiting the amount of news I allow into my day, has helped me cope with the awfulness going on in the Middle East. Most of the time, good news is overlooked because it doesn't cause visceral reactions, but rest assured, every moment of every day there is peace, joy, and happiness lurking within the crevices of our world. And here is a little bit of wisdom from someone who has given the world an enormous amount of all those things:
We become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams. —Jimmy Carter

:-) 

14 comments:

  1. That's a nice quote about being a mosaic. Let it be so. I, too, love that pic of the gold tree and rainbow. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that quote! Mosaic expresses much better who we are than melting pot.
    Sounds like a smart decision to stay back from the high country. With Zumba you are free to leave. Can't do that up the side of a mountain--lol! ;)
    That is one big pumpkin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pumpkin:) Glad you had a good day doing stuff you enjoy:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you didn't travel, you found enough to do. I'm guessing the pumpkin is 435 lbs (I hope you let us know when you know). Loved the golden photo, it's both magical & serene, and God bless Jimmy Carter, I just love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound great that you did bot go on the hike. So you found some other things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both the picture and the quote are beautiful. And much needed. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the link, which led me to Lois Edstrom and Emily Gibson’s book Almanac of Quiet Days. What a joy of a book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you made the right decision and had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That picture is truly beautiful! Did you notice there is a treehouse in that tree?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you made a good choice for the day. My pumpkin guess is 503 lbs. And I like both that picture and the quote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jimmy Carter is right!

    Glad you had a good day in spite of the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mentioned on my post that you were having a drizzly day while just south of you we had a sun shinny day. Sun again this afternoon. We did see a rainbow somewhere sometime today while we were out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am making it a goal to just "let it go". The news either sickens, saddens or infuriates me, so none of that is healthy. I'm glad you got out and about and almost missed the drizzle. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.