Thursday, November 3, 2022

Rainy, cold and beautiful

The most sun we saw today

Melanie let me choose where we would hike today, with the temperature almost down to freezing when I walked out the door, and with rain expected sometime during the day, I didn't want to do anything too terribly challenging. But I still wanted to get my steps in and take some pictures. We ended up driving to Lake Padden and making two loops around the lake with a bit of the back trails thrown in for good measure. As you can see in this picture, we actually had a few visible shadows, but no sun.

Golden leaves 

It was a very nice visit to the trails behind the main loop around the lake, which added some distance for us. We also saw lots of people whose dogs were taking them for a walk. Those back trails allow for dogs to be off leash, and they took plenty of advantage of their need to sniff, run exuberantly, and fertilize the premises. Most people followed the rules and picked up after their dogs.

Fireweed gone to seed

You can tell how far we are from the summer flowers, when you look at the bones of the fireweed, which is purple and lush when in bloom. It's also a late summer/early autumn flower, so it's obvious we are well on our way to winter.

Just before the rain started

All those lovely trees will soon be bare, as we have a big storm headed our way, with lots of wind and rain. But for now, it's just looking beautiful. This was almost the last picture I took today, because not long after, it began to mist heavily, which then turned into serious rain. I pulled out my raincoat and we finished our nice hike as we headed towards the warmth and dry conditions of Mel's car. We went 6.4 miles and up and down a measly 880 feet, but it was a good workout, and we both felt satisfied with the day by the time we finished.

Mel had brought along some of her famous buckwheat chocolate chip cookies, which I really enjoyed. Mel is a really wonderful friend! I am at home now, content and having no need to go anywhere else today. And I am filled with gratitude for my many blessings.

:-)

15 comments:

  1. A walk with a friend and cookies! Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a most excellent day. You and your posts are one of my blessings. And I am filled with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked that path in the first picture, it just looked so serene. And we could all use a friend like Mel and her buckwheat cookies. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful place to hike, and yummy cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Measly? You call 6.4 miles UPhill and downhill measly? DJan, you are in amazing shape. I'd be lying on the ground after 2 miles... away from the dog droppings though. And yes, Mel is awesome. It's so good to have a good friend to hike with. It just makes it so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall brings many changes that we can enjoy. Colorful leaves and falling leaves keep our interest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you didn't get soaked and frozen. I'm with Kay, that sure wasn't measly but a good workout. So glad you have Mel to hike with and munch cookies with. She really is the best kind of friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a lovely outing. You and Mel are a great hiking team! We have walked in the misty rain recently and it feels invigorating somehow. Have a great day my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the intrepid trekker, braving such cold weather!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your warm weather sure seemed to be a short one because here you are, entering the cold again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with Kay. 6.4 miles is not measly. Well, not for most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a good hike! Perhaps not your longest or major gain in elevation but still a decent hike!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One thing I am glad of it that when you go on your shorter hikes you take more pictures. A silver lining for me, anyways. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your friendship with Mel shows!!! And, I'm sure she feels the same. Your photos are spectacular as always D J.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear DJan, to have the day, whatever one is doing--walking, being walked by a dog, seeing through mist, feeling rain on one's face, visiting with a friend, having a nutritious cookie--just whatever one is doing, if it ends with gratitude then there is the perfection of Oneness--a circle of love. Peace from Dee

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.