Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Day of 8 Billion

Snapped on my way home this morning

It was really cold this morning as I walked through Cornwall Park on my way home from the coffee shop. Or, at least from where John left me on the sidewalk to begin my two-and-a-half mile excursion. It got really cold last night, and we had a hard freeze, with these frozen leaves telling the tale. Although the brilliant sun was warming things up quickly, the places where it hadn't yet reached were quite beautiful in frosty splendor.
Frost is the most sophisticated of poets. —Peter Davison

 When I got home and warmed myself by the heater, I made a quick check of the news on my laptop. Two things struck me, the first was learning that today is the Day of 8 Billion. Yes, that's right: today is the estimated day that the human population reached that stupendous milestone. It only took us 12 years to increase from 7 billion to 8 billion. And during the past fifty years, two-thirds of the world's population of mammals (other than humans), fish, reptiles and amphibians have been lost. Two-thirds, I guess to make room for humanity. That's pretty terrifying, if you ask me.

The other unfortunate news is that moments after Ukraine President Zelensky spoke to the gathering of the Heads of States and Government in Indonesia, Russia launched a huge barrage of missiles at numerous targets in Ukraine, and one missile apparently landed in Poland, killing two people. Poland is a NATO member, and right now it's being assessed whether this was deliberate or not. If it is, there will be a huge escalation of the war in Ukraine, as the NATO members would need to come to Poland's aid. But I cannot believe it was deliberate, since Russia already has its hands full with a war they appear to be losing. Anyway, it just happened and more will be known in the fullness of time.

In any event, I will be trying my best to keep calm and remain optimistic. I am very grateful for my newfound meditation practice, since it seems to be helping me take world events in stride. At least a little bit. How about you? Have you found a way to maintain your equilibrium as the world shudders?

:-}

16 comments:

  1. I love that frosty filigree.
    I turn to the natural world (what we have left) to counteract the horrors of humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did just see that 8 billion factoid a couple days ago, and while the birth population in America is steadily declining, the immigrant numbers are increasing--so it's not like Americans will be going scarce anytime soon. However, I was not aware of the 2/3 mammal loss. Sad & frightening. We'd better watch ourselves... nature has a way of cleaning things up, and right now we are in it's target!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 8 Billion day shocked me. Seemed like we had just crossed the 7 Billion mark.
    Did not know that about Poland. Yikes. The world is walking on eggshells right now. Think I had better take up meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does get a little hard to remain optimistic at times, but it is the only choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do those things that I can do something about. The rest will have to be what ever is meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'm kind of like Connie/Far Side. My sphere of influence is small. I stay aware but try not to be wary all of the time. I stay busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not been able to listen to the news all day. Pretending all is well is working for now..,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Recently I read that the world population is going to start going down. that is hopeful for the planet. When I was ten years old Canada's population was 9 million. Today It's over forty million.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The same way I have gotten through various personal shocks and horrors...remain in the present moment, find gratitude, and choose the path of my soul each day. One foot in front of the other.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like to see frost on plants, but hate the cold, freezing weather. I try to stay in my bubble filled with beautiful art and orchids to shield myself from the terrifying news.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 8 billion ... makes you feel kinda small, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. It seems impossible that just one man has created so much misery and hardship for millions around the world. How can Putin sleep at night?

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had freezing fog here the last two mornings. Very fine but I can actually see it falling. Brrr. Eight billion of us! I wasn't aware of the decline in animal numbers; that's scary. The news from Poland gave me a jolt too. Is Putin nuts?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to teach a bit on demography, so back early this century, the prediction was that population growth might peak around mid-century before it began a slow decline. The peak was to be at ~9-10 billion. I don’t know what the current estimates are. I should find out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 8 Billion? Wow! That's amazing!
    I'm trying to be optimistic about Ukraine, but I'm hearing about all the destruction and worry. Now Russia is destroying their power grid. This is truly evil.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.