Thursday, November 10, 2022

Back to the Chuckanuts

Lower Salal trail

Today, Melanie and I set out from the Chuckanut trailhead to find our way up to the Lower Salal trail (one of my favorites) and join the Hemlock trail for our way back to the car. It was overcast but several degrees warmer than we've been experiencing lately, so it was almost up to our usual temperatures for this day in November. Still just a bit cool, but moderating a bit every day. Lots of leaves on the trails, making for a lovely carpet to hike on. Most of my pictures at this time of year are quite similar: lots of fall carpeting and quiet beauty.

Favorite rocket ship root system

I think I always take a picture of this strange root system on the tree, that looks to me like a rocket ship about to launch. It looks different every time I visit, but it never launches, much to my delight relief.

Leaf-strewn bridge

We were still on the Lower Salal trail when we crossed this bridge, and we walked a short distance on the Salal itself, before coming to the Hemlock trail. Although it's obviously November environs, it is still so very pretty to my eyes. In a half year, we'll be scanning the area for trillium.


Melanie suggested we take a side trip to see "the Dude," a tree with an interesting face, which Mel has said is reminiscent of "The Big Lebowski," played by Jeff Bridges in the 1998 film. We had to attach the doobie, because although sometimes there is one already there, today we had to find a stick just the right size to give him a toke.

Chuckanut Falls

And then we took the trail down to Chuckanut Falls, figuring there would be some water in it, after our recent rains. Sure enough, there was a steady stream coming down the falls, although nothing like we sometimes see after a major rainstorm. Still very pretty, though.

Old trees and golden leaves

I love the beautiful trees in this forest, this one showing off its lovely bark, with the golden leaves of the shrubbery behind brightening up the scene. We had no sun at all today, but the leaves brought the light to us.

More gold

We were almost back to the trailhead when I saw this one, and it called out to me to capture its beauty before the next windstorm brings all these pieces of gold onto the forest floor. We covered a bit more than six miles, with 1,500 feet of elevation gain and loss, making it quite a worthy outing. I am blessed by the magnificence of our forests, and by the friendship that I have with Mel. Just another great day in the Pacific Northwest with a really good friend.

:-)

15 comments:

  1. Definitely a worthy outing - and a more than worthy friend. Loved the Dude too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was indeed. I love that trail, the Chuckanut and all the beautiful places it takes you. The forests are so beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Dude can only make one smile. So glad you had such a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you would have a good day no matter where we out you. You always seem to be able to find a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great hike! The face in the tree always makes me smile:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny! Making the Dude "smoke" could start a forest fire! Be careful! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful time of the year to be walking through the forest. There seems to be beauty around every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember 'The Dude' from before, that picture makes me smile. :^) Peaceful, green photos. I always enjoy reading about Melanie too (esp when she brings snacks)! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to feel one with nature. Six miles of walking is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always like seeing The Dude--lol! Love all the pictures you take when you're out with Melanie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Chuckanut is one of my favorites too... and I can always remember the name as it reminds me of that coffee "Chock full o' Nuts"... (probably not around anymore). And I'm glad you and Melanie had a good hike!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun that you can always look for that Dude when you go on this trail. What a lovely hike with a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. “… lots of fall carpeting and quiet beauty.” Sounds perfect. Hope you received email on meditation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Commenting via iPad makes me Anonymous. Who knew? :-) John

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.