Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Fire and ice

Snow on the roses

Yes, yesterday we got some snow in the morning, not much, but enough to grace these pretty roses in the Cornwall Rose Garden. These are just about the last of them until we see fresh buds show up in the springtime. That's another half a year away, I fear. But I can always visit my friends who live in Australia, where they are just beginning their late spring season, with lots of flowers, including roses. Or I can visit some of my own posts from earlier in the year.

After the rain went away, the wind came up, this time a strong flow through the Fraser Gap in Canada, which always brings COLD with it. This time is no exception; I awoke in the middle of the night to the unmistakable sound of our heat turning on for the first time this season. But with the sun shining, I thought it wouldn't feel quite so cold, but I was mistaken. When I walked home from the rose garden this morning, the fierce wind seemed to be in my face, no matter which direction I was traveling. I finished my fifty-minute walk five minutes sooner than I normally would, because I was walking fast to get home and out of the wind. My cheeks were almost as red as these roses.

Then I headed to Fairhaven  for my monthly acupuncture treatment. (This is what I am referring to when I'm talking about the Needle Man.) Today Warren worked on my stiff neck and shoulder, which tends to bother me occasionally, and I decided I'd give the area a bit of extra attention. Once he had the needles in place, he hooked them up to a machine that sends a stimulating vibration, more like a tapping, into the needles. He's done that before for knee or ankle pain, but this was a first for my shoulder.

He also treated my usual aches and pains, and right now I'm feeling quite pain-free. And filled with optimism, as usual after I see him for a treatment. Now if I just stay away from the news, I should be fine for the next little tranche of time.

:-)


11 comments:

  1. As a matter of fact I'm watching the news right this moment (it's nearly 7pm EST) and it got me thinking about you, DJan. Enjoy that state of calm & peace of mind, my rosy cheeked friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Australia for the winter. Now there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful to enjoy two seasons simultaneously through the magic of the blogosphere. And hooray for the Needle Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can the needle man make us forget the election drama? I plan to stay away from all reports till there are some definite answers.
    Loved the dusting of snow on the rose. I can do cold but throw in wind and you lose me. One way to get your heart rate up though is just what you did. Walk (quickly) in the cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to keep getting out so that we are used to winter conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you have a good needle man!
    We have rain turning to ice turning to snowstorm coming tomorrow night. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That photo of the roses is so pretty. Just love it. I hate the cold, and your description of it makes me shudder. Glad acupuncture helps you. Never tried it, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snow! Too early…but January is too early for me! Take care, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We escaped the snow dusting here, so far, but that cold wind found us. Today, Wednesday, is sunny but calm, much nicer. And the political ads have stopped. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe I will check out an acupuncturist here in Tucson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your snow got here this evening:) There is a rose called Fire and Ice and it is a favorite of mine. Red inside and white on the outside:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.