Tuesday, November 1, 2022

November is here

Favorite tree

I've been walking by this tree almost daily ever since the YMCA closed down during the pandemic and I switched to getting in a three-mile walk most days. The Y opened again last year, but without my favorite hi-lo aerobics class, and they just let the instructor go after decades of service. She's still not over it, I hear, and I can't really blame her.

Anyway, they never reopened the women's locker room, and my locker still sits there with much of my workout clothes that I left there so I wouldn't have to carry them back and forth. I went there once to take out a few things, but I had to be accompanied by a worker in order to even open it. I gave up, hoping it wouldn't be too long before I could get back to the gym, but here it is three years later and it's not looking promising.

About that tree: I had been looking for signs of its leaves turning in the fashion of past years, a little at a time. But day after day, nothing had even begun to change. Until yesterday, when I walked by the tree to see it aflame! It was a rainy and overcast day, but nothing kept me from seeing the beautiful tree in its fall glory.

We received well over two inches of rain during the atmospheric river, but today is dry and even showing some sun in between the clouds. Oh, and I found out that what I thought was a raincoat is nothing of the sort, and I got home yesterday soaking wet everywhere, except my feet (my shoes are definitely waterproof). It wasn't all that cold, but that's coming very soon. 

Today I hauled out the carry-on bag I'll be using for my trip, which is now only three weeks away. I measured it to make sure it meets the new carry-on standards. By this time next month, I'll be on my return journey, if all goes as planned. Nothing is ever certain these days, especially when thinking about airplane travel. It's hard for me to imagine that I once had little to no problem flying anywhere, or even jumping out of airplanes for decades, but now I'm just a little old lady not anxious to leave home.

Last night I dreamed I was in Florida with all my siblings, and it was chaotic. I kept trying to find a bathroom that wasn't occupied, or somewhere to sleep comfortably. Perhaps I'll get all those jitters out of the way before I actually travel there. (The sun just came out in full force, and it brought a smile to my face. Florida should have lots of sun, right?) Fortunately I will not have to take many changes of clothes, since my sister and I are the same size and I'll be using her stuff mostly, which is good since I don't have much to wear for warm weather. The trip is getting closer by the minute!

:-)

18 comments:

  1. You are not JUST anything. Not a little or lady or anything else.
    I do hope your trip goes well - and love the thought of you being able to share your sister's clothes as your lives intersect again.
    I love that tree too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister would drown in my clothes and her clothes wouldn't get past my hips. Lucky you.
    The tree is just like a flame! Striking.

    What a nasty deal with all your gym equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan, it's great that you can share your sister's warm weather clothes. Makes it easier not to have to pack too much. I know you will enjoy your visit and your family... all will be well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Full Moon Maple just outside my window is now finally turning too, after spending almost all of October still green. Now the red followed by orange is happening minute by minute.
    When we drove south on I-5 on Sunday I was startled and happy to see all of the color finally exploding. Oh, and the sun broke through here just about the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that you have the fortitude to travel across the country. I, myself, would find it too stressful, which is why I no longer travel. However, I have visited 13 foreign countries so it's good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That tree is gorgeous!
    I hope this trip goes smoothly and you have such a wonderful time with your siblings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can tell you're excited to get to Florida and visit all your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful tree, perfect fall colors. Enjoy your trip and family time!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had rain on Halloween. I wrote my new "waterproof" jacket. It turned out not to be waterproof. Trick was on me. Ah well . . . love your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely little tree showing off for you. Had to smile at your dream and the lack of available bathrooms. Could happen:) How neat you and your sister can wear the same clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I picture you in the Florida sun and see the photo of the beautiful tree from the Pacific Northwest! Two worlds I would not have considered this morning if not for your blog. Thank you, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your little tree DJan, this was a quiet, nice read. I'm excited for your Florida trip in a couple weeks, I hope everything goes as planned. 🙂👍

    ReplyDelete
  13. The exercise class that we used to attend is requiring masks once again. It actually wasn’t so terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you'll have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too bad about the aerobics class and teacher. I feel that we are becoming the ignored generation. Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. By now you should be able to retrieve your gear from your locker.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! I know you're going to have a fabulous time. I love it that you fit into your sister's clothes. That is really convenient. And you're traveling with just a carry-on bag? That's EVEN more awesome. You won't have to worry about lost luggage.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a stunning tree! I will guess that it is a Maple of some sort!! Calm down you will be fine traveling again:)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.