Thursday, February 4, 2021

Our old friend, Rain

Foggy view and a soggy trail

This morning, when I looked at the weather forecast, I groaned. After yesterday's bright and beautiful full sunshine, today was projected to be the opposite: rain all day, no sun, and the likelihood that it could be a washout. But I sighed and gathered all my rain gear, so that I could join my friend Melanie for a hike in the Chuckanuts.

Mel's picture of me

It wasn't cold exactly, but even while exercising I kept feeling cold, but I think it was because of the light rain we endured much of the time. Since I was expecting a downpour, I was pleasantly surprised by nothing more than a few sprinkles through the canopy of trees overhead.

Some recent tree clearing

We saw lots of evidence of recent damage to trees from the windstorm a few weeks ago, and plenty of evidence that crews have been busy trying to clean it up. It made me wonder about other areas of wind damage we've seen, and whether they consider which areas are most heavily used in deciding where to focus their efforts. This is on the Hemlock trail, which gets plenty of daily use.

Lower Salal trail

One of my favorite trails in the Chuckanuts is the Lower Salal, and while we were on it today, we saw no other people. The weather might have had something to do with that, but for whatever reason, it was just the two of us today. It was great to be out in the forest. We chatted about recipes, new and old TV shows, and much more.

A licorice fern-covered rock

Once we were back on the Hemlock trail, I noticed a strange-looking rock beside the trail, with an amazing number of licorice ferns that covered it completely. It looks a little like a green haystack, maybe.

A favorite waterfall

And finally, just before we ended our almost-six-mile hike, we passed this waterfall, which regular readers of my blog might recognize, since I almost always include it. Every time I see it, it looks different because of the amount of rain that feeds it varies from day to day and season to season.

And with that, my weekly excursion into the forest ends, and I am happy, warm and toasty, and looking forward to a good night's sleep later on. Being outdoors for a good part of the day always helps me sleep.

:-)

18 comments:

  1. The area where you live always makes me think of scenic postcards! Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear DJan, thanks for taking me along on the hike, via photos and prose. It's wonderful that you have kept your passion for exercise and the enjoyment of nature alive and well for many years. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DJan, thanks go from me too--there is something about new photos that makes a person appreciate them more, and frankly all this green put spots in front of my eyes! Not to be a Debbie Downer (rather, Dougie Downer) but this is Pittsburgh's worst month of the year. Temps in the teens, no sun and gray as far as the eye can see. It just makes your weekly hikes even more colorful. Hope you have a great night's sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a grey day here - with rain forecast for later. I hope it arrives - and envy your waterfall.
    Take care, and thanks for so often taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a dedicated hiker - even rain doesn't slow you down! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me too...I Sleep better when a day is spent outdoors. This area you walk on your hikes is always one of my favorite outings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday was mild (relatively speaking) and sunny. We had coffee and donuts by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, that rock has quite a wardrobe. So glad you got out into such loveliness. A little cold maybe but still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Six miles is a long hike. Glad it wasn't a torrential downpour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are still able to get out there, even in inclement weather. I groan when I have to walk to the mailbox at the end of driveway in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DJan, I absolutely love these pics! That first one with you in it and all the ferns, etc. makes me think of Jurassic park... expect to see a T-Rex pop out anytime...

    ReplyDelete
  12. So good for the spirit to be out in nature, no matter the weather. The fern rock is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it great to feel like you've got the whole forest to yourself!?!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A private rainy day with trees, ferns, moss, and a waterfall...perfect.
    We're going to be below zero for about a week, so no walks this way. Wind chill warnings. Grateful to be warm inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. At least it was "only a few sprinkles".

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad you get out hiking with Mel too bad you can't go on sunny days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so fabulous to always go out into nature and get your exercise and socializing. I'm so glad it didn't rain hard on you.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.