Monday, February 15, 2021

Cold is letting up a bit

Chilly but safe breakfast site

It really did get quite cold around here, but it's now mostly behind us. We received somewhere around six inches of snow right here in my neighborhood, but I learned that Seattle and parts south received twice that, or more. The snow wasn't really that much of a problem, but on Saturday when I usually head out for a nice walk with my pals, it was not only snowing sideways, but the temperature was cold enough to make it seem much, much colder. We decided to call it off. 

John called and asked if I wanted him to pick me up and head to the coffee shop, which delighted me. Even if I couldn't get a walk in, I could still quaff a cup of my favorite coffee. He cleared off his heavy-duty truck and came over to my place. I climbed in and we made it without incident all the way to town. Although the shop was supposed to open at 7:00, when we arrived at almost 8:00, we were the first people to come in the door; the usual shift of workers couldn't make it in, and the backup person had just arrived. We got our coffee and sat in the truck cab to enjoy it.

Gene called to ask if we had had breakfast yet, which we hadn't, so he suggested that we make our way to Chrysalis Inn and Spa in Fairhaven to take in their new covered outdoor area for dining. He had eaten there the night before and thought it was quite pleasant, if a bit on the chilly side (they have overhead heaters and lap blankets). 

Once we got there and checked it out, we decided to risk it and take a table inside, which was separated from the other (unused) tables with plexiglass, since it was well ventilated and much warmer than the patio. Even with all the amenities we found it to be too cold out there. The picture is taken from our table, showing the patio seating area.

We enjoyed a fairly decent, if overpriced, breakfast and decided to head to our respective homes and hunker down for the duration. All weekend I was forced to stay inside because of the wind and snow and cold, but today the snow has turned to rain, and the temperature is right now hovering just above freezing. And that feels almost balmy in comparison with the previous temperatures. Walking in slushy snow, however, is a lot of work. I did walk from the bus stop to my home, just over a half mile. It felt like walking through soft sand, but nowhere near as much fun.

We are through the worst of it, and I'm hoping that the rest of the country will soon be back to "normal." Pandemic normal, that is.

:-)

20 comments:

  1. That sounds very cold. At least you managed to get out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you got out - and with favourite people too. Stay safe, stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a surprise to me ... I didn't think it ever snowed in coastal Washington. Well, it must be a rarity, so hope you enjoyed it, and glad you could get out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even the bitter cold doesn't stop you from stepping out, You are one tough lady my friend.
    We are under a Winter weather advisory, ice-covered and bitter cold. I'm staying inside :)
    Stay well DJan.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even if your walk was called off, it amazes me how you still manage to get back out there for your friendly meet-ups. If you lived here in Pittsburgh, people would be talking "There's that DJan woman, she oughtta go work for the Post Office!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. While I got out a bit during the snow, today it is just too hazardous for me out there, with all of the shush and melting snow and standing water. I'm doing housework instead. I sure do need a firm, dry surface to practice walking and get my stride though. I might have to brave walking at the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That view outside looks a lot like here at present.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture looks a lot like here. Locked in worse than before. Funny how we are now looking forward to "pandemic normal":) I love snow and must admit it is beautiful out but the cold is unmanageable--for me anyway. Single digits and low teens for highs. Oh well just a week more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This weather system has brought a lot of misery to people. There are some areas that are not winterized so there is risk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You don’t miss many chances to go for a walk so I can imagine the cold there. Hope it stays warmer for you, Jan.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you did get to get out, DJan. But I can't wait for this Arctic air to get out of here. I really don't like the cold and this single digit temp is dangerous. My daughter in the hill country was without electricity for several hours and was worried for her pipes, her horses, and her chickens when it got down to 7 degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter in Seattle sent us photos of a couple of snowmen that they made in their front yard.

    Meanwhile, our cold spell here (60's) has given way to hot and humid with occasional welcome rain. The mango trees are becoming laden with flowers, hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to know you do actually get winter out there if briefly!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have had a similar amount of snow here overnight. School buses aren't running, and even the schools are closed -- for once. I have my weekly grocery pickup at 11. Hopefully, it will be clear by then although it is still snowing a bit now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't drink real coffee anymore. I can only drink 0 acid, decaf. But Tylers has a pretty good 0 acid. Sigh. I left a coffee link on your facebook from the good old days of real coffee. Just in case you're snowbound again. You should try it. The best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is courageous of you to brave the snow and cold even in the truck. Glad things are warming up over there.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, funny how when things get worse we can even long for pandemic normal. Everything is relative. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You got to get out with friends! Yes it is hard work walking in snow! Every spring I feel so free and can walk faster!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The only part of Washington winters I miss is the snow. Wish I'd been there for just last weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tif sent me photos of the 29" they got in a 48 hour period. They now have leaks from ice damming. She'll have to call the insurance company which just fixed the roof last year from hail damage. I wish they'd move to Seattle.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.