Monday, February 1, 2021

Hey, it's already February

Lake Padden

Anybody who has followed my blog for any length of time could probably have named that place, even without the caption. Lake Padden is one of the Bellingham jewels that I visit often. It's 2.6 miles around the main loop, with lots of horse trails behind it if one wants to go on a longer hike. My Saturday walking group always went twice around, for 5.2 miles at a fast clip. I sure miss those gatherings, and I'm hoping that at some point in the not-too-distant future, we will be able to return to gatherings larger than five, even outside.

Not that I'm in that much of a hurry, but it's already been almost a year in lockdown from Covid, and who knows when it will begin to get better? I have been unable to get a vaccine dose, and I've spent plenty of time online trying to snag an appointment at one of the four locations that offer them. I can't even seem to get on a waiting list. 

I'm beginning to wonder if we will once again miss the April Tulip Festival, which was canceled last year. Or if indoor dining in a restaurant will someday in the near future become available again. We did get a brief respite a few months back, but then our local numbers went sky-high, and I sadly cannot even visit close friends without worrying about the new more contagious variants. It would be awful to contract one, but even more awful to give the disease to someone. I'm pretty sure I had the virus in late March of last year, but it was a mild case and I am probably just as susceptible now as I ever was. 

Such a pretty natural garden

But! The good part is that it's already February, and I have spied new shoots sprouting up out of the ground, all over town, and that means that we will soon have lots of things to do outside. I'm thinking right now about what I might plant in my little garden spot and just this morning took a quick look at a seed catalog for inspiration. We are now gaining three minutes of daylight every single day, so spring cannot be far behind! Yay!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. Yes, it's February! I think your February is a liitle better than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with FG. Your February is much further ahead than ours. Lake Padden is spectacular. May we be free of Covid soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our February still means deep cold and more snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sheltering in place hiding behind a mask I asked my Dr. ifr a widower my age could die from boredom. He recommendedI start looking for a girlfriend . i TOLD HIM i WAS 84 YEARS OUT OF PRACTICE :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I now have some news about or shots but can’t spect anything until May or even June.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think we kind of wished January away trying to get to the 20th. Hope you can get your shot soon. I'm on a list but it is a long one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you have a combination of good and bad. The bad id the covid. who knows what will happen . Just when we think things will get better they get worse like variants of the virus. And then spring? Ah what a good thing to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wondering about our tulip festival too. And hoping, but suspecting it will be largely absent this year too.
    I do hope that you get access to the vaccine soon. Very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time sure if flying! Hope you get to do and have all that you want this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...and I look forward to reading about your garden and spring flowers on your "porch landing".
    This pandemic will never cease. Maybe the high numbers, but the virus will be with us forever with different variants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like your optimism. But, it is odd that at your age you still have not been vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gardening will be such a good thing this spring and summer!
    You always have such pretty flowers on your porch balcony, too.
    Not sure when things will start to get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't have the shot yet either and no idea when. Not sure what normal is anymore:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's been an odd winter here too. Pile of snow and then sunshine and 50. The rhodies here look like they would bloom without too much more encouragement. Hope they can hold off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Feb. 2nd, Ground Hog's Day, half way between the winter solstice and the spring equinox!
    I love your natural garden photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know one person who got a shot because he lives in a senior living facility, and one because she volunteers at a health clinic. Other than that, everybody seems to be registering online and then waiting, waiting, waiting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As the weather gets warmer and improves, we'll at least be able to hang out more outside. I am only 64 so I won't be getting a shot for a long time. :( I did get my mom an appointment for tomorrow at the Puyallup Fair drive thru vaccination. Now I need to figure out one for my dad.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.