Thursday, February 11, 2021

Chilled to the bone

Bridge in Boulevard Park

It really doesn't look as cold as it was. The temperature today when we walked was only 21°F (-6°C), but the wind! Oh, my did that make a difference. We had cold north winds blowing as high as 25mph, sometimes right in our faces. Melanie and I had decided to hike the Chanterelle trail today, but because of the high winds, we changed our minds and instead walked from Fairhaven to the Western Washington University campus and back, so that we could stay out of the possible path of falling trees.

Lone rose in the frozen garden

We walked past the rose garden on campus, and saw this quite pretty lone rose, with an icy background showing it is definitely last year's flower, but still hanging in there. Unfortunately, every time I took off my glove to take a picture, my fingers got chilled and it took quite awhile for them to recover. My face mask was actually protective from the wind, but after a short while the moisture from inside froze solid! It did help make it even more of a shield from the wind, so I'm not complaining.

Bellingham Bay from campus

Again, I was surprised when I saw this picture that it doesn't reflect our frigid environment. Although I was proud of us for managing to walk 5.5 miles, it was really only when we turned back towards Fairhaven and had the wind at our backs instead of in our faces that I stopped feeling like a frozen icicle. Make no mistake, it was truly a difficult day, but we didn't give up or turn back from the task at hand.

The bay as we headed back to Fairhaven

Once I got home, I bundled up with a fuzzy warm sweater and sat down to enjoy lunch, which I was gifted by Melanie. She's an amazing cook, but the best part were the brownies she shared with me in the car right after we finished our walk. Chewy and deep dark chocolate, they immediately brightened my outlook for the day.

Hopefully, by the time our next hike comes around, the weather will have improved, one way or another. I was glad for every bit of warm clothing I had with me, but I could have used even more, had I known how bone-chilling cold it would be. Now I'm just happy to be inside!

:-)

17 comments:

  1. 5.5 miles in 21 degrees (nevermind the wind chill)?? You deserved those chewy brownies alright! Well DJan, you always post such nice photos no matter what, like that poor lone rose. Good for you for not letting the cold best you! I just wish you lived closer, so I could say "Hey DJan, as long as you're out there I could use a quart of milk..." ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Windchills can make a cool day feel brutal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wind can really turn cold into unbearable. Felt so sorry for that poor rose. Sure it wasn't frozen solid?:) Glad you had the wind at your back on the return. How bad would the reverse have been?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty rose! The wind really makes a difference in temperatures...makes it so terribly cold. Glad you are warm now! We are too what a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know the ropes about weather and clothing. the other thing is to keep moving at a rapid pace to keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wind makes an incredible difference doesn't it? When I freeze bubbles in winter the temperatures are about that level, but the sun is shining which means that it is perfectly fine.
    I am glad that you are hunkered down in the warm - and love the heart and body warming gifts you received.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear 'ya on this one. Today is our last "non-freezing" day 'til Tuesday of next week. Those images are fantastic D J!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was cold and windy on our little walk yesterday. We are in for a cold weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the cold, you did manage to snap those photos. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The temperatures here have dropped and the wind is high too. When it feels like it’s in the -20s C, we don’t walk the trails. We can’t warm up afterwards. You did well to do over five miles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. DJan, you are strong to brave the cold weather to walk. I open the front door and when the cold and the wind hit me, I close it up and head over to the fireplace. I really dislike being cold.
    But I have to admit, those brownies sounded good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally perfected my brownie recipe with chocolate malted milk, Lindt Chocolate and other top notch ingredients. We've been mall walking. Wearing double masks. Too cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You two are definitely intrepid to be sure. Seeing your words "chewy and deep dark chocolate" made my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a dedicated walker you are! I was in Seattle visiting my daughter last last October and it was COLD in the 40's and windy. Brrrrrrr! I couldn't handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, the wind makes all the difference. At 9am this morning it was -20 degrees. I am glad I don't have to go out today. You two are the intrepid hikers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're a dedicated hiker for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cold on my walk yesterday, but not as bad today. Definitely a wind issue for me as well. My hands can't handle the cold, even with gloves on. I have to soak them in hot water when I get home.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.