Monday, February 8, 2021

Gonna get real cold here

Same waterfall, a few days apart

Last Saturday, we had another rainy day, along with several beforehand, too. We're used to the rain, but I was astounded in the difference between this lovely waterfall a week ago, and Saturday's deluge causing an amazing torrent in the same place. When we were walking, you could see and hear the spray coming from the waterfall long before we saw it. I remembered I had captured it before, so this contrast was a fun one to make.

We are free of rain for awhile, but instead it will be COLD. Like twenty to thirty degrees colder than we usually experience, and there is a real possibility of some lowland snow as well. When I lived in Boulder, we would sometimes say it was too cold to snow, and maybe that will be the case here. But in any event, we will need to bundle up to deal with a high temperature of 33°F (0.5°C) on our next hiking day, Thursday. Every time I look at the forecast, it is a little colder. Brrr!

Green shoots of (I think) tulips

And this morning, returning from my trip to the coffee shop, I saw these pretty signs of spring in a neighbor's garden. I think these are tulips, but I don't know for sure. If they are, it must mean that they are beginning to come up in the Skagit Valley, and my hope is that I will be able once again this year to visit the RoozenGaarde tulip gardens. Last year because of the pandemic, they were not open to visitors. I guess it's too early to know for sure, since we are entering into an uncertain phase in the quest for a return to normalcy. It is only February, after all. My fingers are crossed for the 2021 festival to be held in the Skagit Valley.

:-)

18 comments:

  1. Our tulips are beginning to emerge. Our daffodils are up and showing buds. I saw a crocus bud when I was out Saturday. So, yes, much is stirring under the ground these days, but they will no doubt be slowed down by this week's weather. Maybe my snowdrops will be snow drooping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to see green stuff popping out of the ground. That is quite a difference in waterfalls. Stay warm! That is a full time job around here with no furnace...no news yet when a new one will be here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are routinely colder than that at the moment. The waterfalls are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sound of the waterfall must be up lifting. That’s quite a difference over a few days. We had another dumping of snow, so no tulip shoots here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had some daffodils poking their heads up in January, when it got up to the 40s pretty much every day. But they're buried under a foot of snow right now. Hope they survive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already? It's only February. I hope you're able to go there to see the tulip festival, Djan. Mom still remembers the splendor of all the colorful gardens. It was so impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrrr! It is really cold here when the temperatures dip to below 70°. I don't think I can handle your winters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing the difference in the falls in just a few days. Hope the cold snap we are just about all getting doesn't put your tulip buds down. We are looking at single digits next week. That kind of takes the fun out of going out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our spring bulbs will remain buried and dormant for some time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Climate change is giving us a tough lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the water fall - in both versions.
    I have been gardening. Some of our bulbs are shooting. Waaaaay too early. No tulips yet. For which I am grateful. We haven't finished summer here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the Tulip festival the one time I went. (except for the crowds--which I'm very leery of these days) We do seem to get our Snowmaggedons in February, don't we? If you are getting it in the north, it probably won't get to where I am. Our worst storms seem to come from the south for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Margaret, have noticed that direction, where the worst storms come from, for years now. Since the South has warmer weather, it makes sense these storms would pack more punch as their clouds encounter cooler regions. Haven't seen any signs of spring yet, here in southern Pennsylvania - except for one :) that is, the days are noticeably getting longer. Yaayy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Over the weekend, the predicted low inland will be beliw freezing (in the 20s) and a possibility of sleet/snow. Goodie! (Not!!)

    Love the waterfall comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well DJan, you just answered my question about your hikes in cold temps. The past several days I've woken up to temps in their teens here in Pittsburgh; but this morning we were greeted with the biggest snowfall in years. (Surely you wouldn't try to hike thru all this??) Anyway, I enjoyed seeing that very green tulip patch! I hope we can see it again in bloom. :^)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning waterfall before and after. Love those shoots. If they are tulips, let's see what they look like in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big difference in the waterfall!
    Going to be a colder than usual hike for you. I know you will bundle up for it, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a high of -8C here tomorrow and -13 on the weekend! Don't believe those spring tulips coming up!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.