Monday, September 28, 2020

That's so far out

 

Astronomy Picture of the Day

I am a daily fan of the Astronomy Picture of the Day and saw this one on June 28 when I marveled over it. If you go to the link under the picture, you can learn about how it was taken, and what you are looking at. Of course that's the Great Red Spot in the middle of the picture, but in the lower left you are seeing one of Jupiter's moons: Europa. And in the upper right is the shadow of Io, another of Jupiter's moons. 

I have been fascinated with the closeups of Jupiter that have emerged from the Voyager 2 journey that began in 1979. And yes, there is also a Voyager 1 out there. Both of them will not return to Earth but will transmit data back to Earth for a long time to come.

Voyager 2 is near the edge of our solar system and will one day also enter interstellar space. Many people are unaware that even after over 40 years, both probes are still actively generating scientific data and transmitting it to Earth.

 Sometimes I get a real burst of energy from seeing such incredible views of our Solar System, knowing that the ups and downs of our earthly travails are small in the larger scheme of things. Not that it makes it any easier, but it just gives us a chance to step back and ponder such majesty.

If you have some techniques for staying sane while the world around us grows ever more chaotic, I'd love to hear about them. Until then, I'll keep my head in the clouds and beyond.

:-)

14 comments:

  1. I'm always looking up to the stars/planets! There is peace of mind for me knowing just how small our world is (and the chaotic country...world, we live in is not so frustrating afterwards. Years ago, when I erred on a brochure for the CofC, he said, don't worry so much. No use fretting over something that will make no difference in a 100 yrs...I took it to heart.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gratitude journal helps me. Naming the things in life I am grateful for changes the focus in my life. It always helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I focus on things of beauty.
    And the image you have shared DEFINITELY qualifies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just keep busy, which seems to be easy these days. Maybe it's because it takes me longer to do things now. And I actually do read the newspaper and watch and listen to news. I have to know what's going on, even though it's frustrating and aggravating and appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting. I must look at it. I do think that we have to keep our head in the game to make a better world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool pic! We went out in August to try to see the Perseids shower. But all we got were mosquito bites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love astronomy also; the universe is full of marvels and so much bigger than ourselves. I do a lot of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't found anything that works completely for even if you turn the TV off, the computer will happily fill you in. Somehow it is just hard to hide these days with so many media outlets. Reading books written before 2016 helps.
    That really is an amazing shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so beautiful. I used to belong to an astronomy group that heard astronomers speak about the universe once a month.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I see that Jupiter has 53 moons that are named. Wouldn’t it be cool if we had more than one moon? It’s really neat that you can see the moons of Jupiter in that photo. I wonder if they’re all named for gods or people in mythology.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments! If you see a word verification box here, just ignore it. I don't use the darn thing and Blogger is trying to get us to use it, I guess. Ignore it and your comment will still appear.